Which coordinate plane is closest to the sphere's center

  • Thread starter Thread starter hungrymouth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coordinate Planes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
hungrymouth
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
1. Determine which of the three coordinate planes is closest to the center of the sphere(or indicate which planes are tied if two or more of the distances are the same)
(s-7)^2+(y-7)^2+(z-7)^2=36




Homework Equations





3. Would i just try setting x,y,z in turns equal to 0 to find out? That's what I'm thinking but I'm not sure...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What are the coordinates of the center of the sphere?
 
First determine the center of the sphere then look at its coordinate and ask yourself to which plane is it closest to?

If I have a point in 2D of (3,1) is it closer to the x-axis or the y-axis?