Mathematical modelling question

In summary: The final formula for r will have m, p, t and \pi in it. Having done that, you need to differentiate with respect to r to get the derivative of V in terms of r. Set that to 0 and solve for r to maximize V.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of air in a dome by using the given equations V = pi.k(k^2/r - k^2/3r^3 - r/8) and K = m/2pi.p.t. The speaker is asked to rearrange the equations to obtain an expression for the value of r that maximizes the volume. They then get stuck when trying to solve for r and ask for help. The expert
lektor
Hey,

So, In a question about finding volume in a dome we were

Given that V = pi.k(k^2/r - k^2/3r^3 - r/8)
And K = m/2pi.p.t

Firstly we are asked to obtain an expression for the value of r that maximises the volume of air and rearrange to obtain an equation of the form ar^4 + br^2 + c = 0

V' => r^4/8 + kr^2 - k^2 = 0

So far I am confident that is correct, but next it asks you to solve the equation for r^2 and hence find r, approximate squareroot of 96 to be 10.

Therefore pi^2 = 10

and substituting the value of k into this equation i obtained,

r^4/8 + mr^2/2pi.p.t - m^2/4pi^2.p^2.t^2 = 0

That is where i get stuck and i hope someone can help me out, thnx :\

Physics news on Phys.org
lektor said:
Hey,

And K = m/2pi.p.t
Is that [itex]V= \pi k(\frac{k^2}{r}-\frac{k^2}{3r^3}- \frac{r}{8}[/itex] and [itex]k= \frac{m}{2\pi pt}[/itex]? If you don't use LaTex, use lots of parentheses. Also do not use "k" and "K" to mean the same thing.

Firstly we are asked to obtain an expression for the value of r that maximises the volume of air and rearrange to obtain an equation of the form ar^4 + br^2 + c = 0

So far I am confident that is correct, but next it asks you to solve the equation for r^2 and hence find r, approximate squareroot of 96 to be 10.

Therefore pi^2 = 10
What?? Not the [itex]\pi[/itex] I know! "Approximate square root of 96 to be 10"? Why?

You were told to solve for r2 first- use the quadratic formula. That's fairly straight forward and gives a relatively simple formula for r2. Since you still have unknowns m, p, t in the formula, I see no reason to "approximate" [itex]\pi[/itex] by 10.

lektor said:
Hey,

And K = m/2pi.p.t
Is that [itex]V= \pi k(\frac{k^2}{r}-\frac{k^2}{3r^3}- \frac{r}{8}[/itex] and [itex]k= \frac{m}{2\pi pt}[/itex]? If you don't use LaTex, use lots of parentheses. Also do not use "k" and "K" to mean the same thing.

Therefore pi^2 = 10
What?? Not the [itex]\pi[/itex] I know! "Approximate square root of 96 to be 10"? Why?

You were told to solve for r2 first- use the quadratic formula that gives a fairly straight forward expression for r. Since you still have unknowns m, p, t, I see no reason for "approximating" [itex]\pi[/itex] by 10. You aren't going to get a numerical answer anyway.

1. What is mathematical modelling?

Mathematical modelling is the process of creating a mathematical representation of a real-world system or phenomenon. This involves using mathematical equations, data analysis, and computer simulations to understand and predict the behavior of the system.

2. How is mathematical modelling used in science?

Mathematical modelling is used in various fields of science, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. It allows scientists to make predictions, test hypotheses, and understand complex systems that may be difficult to study in real life.

3. What are the benefits of using mathematical modelling?

Mathematical modelling can provide a deeper understanding of complex systems, help identify key factors and relationships, and make predictions about future behavior. It also allows for virtual experiments and simulations, reducing the need for costly and time-consuming physical experiments.

4. What are the limitations of mathematical modelling?

Mathematical models are simplifications of real-world systems and may not fully capture all the complexities and uncertainties of the system. They also rely on accurate data and assumptions, which may not always be available. Therefore, the results of a mathematical model should always be interpreted with caution.

5. How can I get started with mathematical modelling?

To get started with mathematical modelling, you should have a strong understanding of the underlying principles and equations related to the system you want to model. It is also important to have good data and to validate your model by comparing its predictions to real-world observations. There are also various software and programming tools available for building and analyzing mathematical models.