Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab- Second moment of Area(I) Script Help!

1. May 5, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am in Mechanics of materials class, and I am attempting to design a cantilever beam that meets certain specifications for atomic Force microscopy. (details aren't relevant for programming steps).

I have been tasked with writing a script in matlab that:

A.) Calculates the coordinates of the centroid of any Cross section.
    B.) Calculates the second moment of area (I) about the centroidal Z-axis (assume this axis is horizontal)
    C.) Calculates the Q that is needed to compute the maximum shear stress.

For the above tasks, assume the resolution of the image is 1 nm/pixel.

I have already created the m-file for 1 of the images that I will be using . (it is a ring cross-section). It is attached.

I have also finished Part (A), and I think it works.

The centroid is basically the center of mass of a 2-d object.

Part B is really giving me trouble, I can't seem to make any headway towards getting the correct solution.

The equation for calculating the second moment of Area is: I=Integral(Y^2*dA) (A=area).

If someone with more programming knowledge/experience than me can help, that would be lifesaving!

The attached m files that I have finished are attached.

-Ryan
    View attachment centroid2.m

View attachment ring.m

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2
    This should probably be in the Math and Scientific Software section of the CS forum. This really isn't a programming question.

4. May 7, 2009 #3
    Try showing us some psuedocode for what you're trying to do - I think writing this code will be easier than you think. You need to assume that each pixel has area dA. Here is a start:

Code (Text):

for every pixel
        if (is part of the object)
            get distance from centroid in y-direction (you already know where "0" is...)
        else -> do nothing
    next pixel

Hope this helps,

Kerry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook