Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matter at the core of neutron star

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    How would you approximately describe matter in the core of underlying neutron star? I am asking for really fundamental properties. No strange matter, consider just n,e,p. A ratio, can we describe particles as free? Gas x fluid x superfluid? etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 9, 2014 #3
    No, I mean it is over.

5. Nov 9, 2014 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I can't give any details, but I've heard that matter exists in the form of a superfluid of neutrons, protons, and electrons. The deeper you go, the higher the percentage of neutrons compared to protons and electrons.

6. Nov 9, 2014 #5

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

As with all questions of this sort, you will get better and more helpful answers if you research the topic yourself, and then come back here with more specific questions about what you found. In this case, the wikipedia pages on"neutron stars" and "degenerate matter" are pretty good.

7. Nov 13, 2014 #6

It is a mixture of superfluid neutrons, superconducting/superfluid protons, and an electron "gas." Toward the center there are only a few percent electrons and protons. The whole thing is believed to be penetrated by a great many tiny electromagnetic vortices. There is no empty space whatsoever. At the center the density is about ten times that of an atomic nucleus.

8. Nov 14, 2014 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Conditions in the core of neutron stars strongly hints at a quark - gluon fluid. I find that very Interesting. It may explain the disparity between the most massive neutron stars and lowest mass black holes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook