Maximum area of semicircle inscribed under y = 12 - 3x²

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
lp27
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given the function
y = 12- 3x^2,
find the maximum semi-circular area bounded by the curve and the x-axis.

Homework Equations



A= Pi(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution


I found my zeros, 2 and -2, and my maximum height of 12 from the y'.

A' = 2Pi(r)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plot the function. The answer will be clear.
 
Well, no. r isn't equal to 2. If it's an inscribed semicircle bounded by the x-axis the circle must have center (0,0), agree? Draw a picture. It's a wee bit less than 2. So the equation of the circle is r^2=x^2+y^2. If it's inscribed the semicircle must be tangent to the parabola y=12-3*x^2 at the point of intersection. Find dy/dx for each and set them equal. It works out particularly easy if you find dy/dx for the circle using implicit differentiation.
 
You are, of course, correct. I should have thought about it more carefully.
 
vela said:
You are, of course, correct. I should have thought about it more carefully.

You didn't say anything wrong. I wasn't responding to your suggestion. I was responding to the original post. Plotting is always a great idea!
 
Last edited: