Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

McLaren Excluded from Constructors Championship

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    Not a good day if you're a McLaren fan.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/9/6767.html

This should be good for those following the race. Now, Alonso and Hamilton need not "sacrfice" their position in any way for the sake of team points. I guess they can fight it out as if they are on different teams.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad the drivers weren't penalised. I'm not really bothered about constructors.

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Fined $100 million? The article sounds rediculous. The offense isn't made very clear, and sounds like a little spying on a rival team. So what? How is that going to make the McLaren F1 cars any faster?

5. Sep 13, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The whole deal was, a Ferrari mechanic gave a McLaren mechanic a huge manual about the development and construction of the 2007 ferrari F1 car which would hand McLaren a large advantage over Ferrari if they knew exactly what they were capable of and had extra research. $100 million is nothing in F1 terms considering Alonso is paid ~70% of that as his wage per annum.

6. Sep 13, 2007 #5
    So, spying on someone else's technology and using it in your cars is not wrong? And it's not just about being faster. Here's a brief history on the scandal
    http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2007/9/6761.html

Moreover, I don't think $100m is that big a deal for a leading F1 team. :rolleyes:

7. Sep 13, 2007 #6
    Yea, just glad they didn't punish the drivers, even though I do not support McLaren (BMW Sauber fan).

8. Sep 13, 2007 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Oh, I understand the point now. The other team may have developed new technologies and tricks within the rules, that the McLaren team may not have figured out yet, and that is where spying on them could help the McLaren team. Got it.

9. Sep 14, 2007 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to a feature in the UK Finanical Times newpaper recently, the annual expenditure of an F1 team is about $300m. It doesn't say if that figure includes the driver's wages or not, but the article was about the organization of the engineering operation, not the drivers - so it could be the cost of running the rest of the "business".

But however you slice it, you can do something more useful with $2m a week than give it to a competitor.

10. Sep 14, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They get loads from sponsorship as well as McLaren being part owned by Mercedes nowadays. I agree the fine was a bit hefty but still nothing that McLaren can't afford.

11. Sep 14, 2007 #10
    I think this book will give us all the answers we want. I came across this site last weekend, when a TV-commentator mentioned it.

12. Sep 15, 2007 #11
    150 english pounds = over $300 usd = insane price for a book
    plus it is all guesses as no offical reports are made

yes the fine is over the top
    no mac is NOT WINNING AS A RESULT of the data
    THE DATA is not that big a deal
    the cover up is the real crime
    ie lieing to the sports officals
    everyone spys at the top levels of F-1
    and cheats [bends the rules]
    the red team more then most
    but they sure cry the loudest when ever someone else wins

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?