McLaren Excluded from Constructors Championship

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, McLaren have been excluded from the 2007 constructors’ championship and fined US$100 million following Thursday’s FIA World Motor Sport Council hearing in Paris. The drivers Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton have not been penalized and are free to continue their fight for the drivers’ title. The article sounds rediculous and the offense isn't made very clear. The fine is nothing in F1 terms considering Alonso is paid ~70% of that as his wage per annum.
neutrino
Not a good day if you're a McLaren fan.

McLaren have been excluded from the 2007 constructors’ championship and fined US$100 million following Thursday’s FIA World Motor Sport Council hearing in Paris. Drivers Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton have not been penalized and are free to continue their fight for the drivers' title.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/9/6767.html

This should be good for those following the race. Now, Alonso and Hamilton need not "sacrfice" their position in any way for the sake of team points. I guess they can fight it out as if they are on different teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Glad the drivers weren't penalised. I'm not really bothered about constructors.

Fined $100 million? The article sounds rediculous. The offense isn't made very clear, and sounds like a little spying on a rival team. So what? How is that going to make the McLaren F1 cars any faster?

The whole deal was, a Ferrari mechanic gave a McLaren mechanic a huge manual about the development and construction of the 2007 ferrari F1 car which would hand McLaren a large advantage over Ferrari if they knew exactly what they were capable of and had extra research. $100 million is nothing in F1 terms considering Alonso is paid ~70% of that as his wage per annum.

berkeman said:
Fined $100 million? The article sounds rediculous. The offense isn't made very clear, and sounds like a little spying on a rival team. So what? How is that going to make the McLaren F1 cars any faster?

So, spying on someone else's technology and using it in your cars is not wrong? And it's not just about being faster. Here's a brief history on the scandal
http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2007/9/6761.html

Moreover, I don't think $100m is that big a deal for a leading F1 team. :rolleyes:

Yea, just glad they didn't punish the drivers, even though I do not support McLaren (BMW Sauber fan).

neutrino said:
So, spying on someone else's technology and using it in your cars is not wrong? And it's not just about being faster. Here's a brief history on the scandal
http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2007/9/6761.html

Oh, I understand the point now. The other team may have developed new technologies and tricks within the rules, that the McLaren team may not have figured out yet, and that is where spying on them could help the McLaren team. Got it.

neutrino said:
Moreover, I don't think $100m is that big a deal for a leading F1 team. :rolleyes:

According to a feature in the UK Finanical Times newpaper recently, the annual expenditure of an F1 team is about $300m. It doesn't say if that figure includes the driver's wages or not, but the article was about the organization of the engineering operation, not the drivers - so it could be the cost of running the rest of the "business".

But however you slice it, you can do something more useful with $2m a week than give it to a competitor.

AlephZero said:
According to a feature in the UK Finanical Times newpaper recently, the annual expenditure of an F1 team is about $300m. It doesn't say if that figure includes the driver's wages or not, but the article was about the organization of the engineering operation, not the drivers - so it could be the cost of running the rest of the "business".

But however you slice it, you can do something more useful with $2m a week than give it to a competitor.

They get loads from sponsorship as well as McLaren being part owned by Mercedes nowadays. I agree the fine was a bit hefty but still nothing that McLaren can't afford.

I think this book will give us all the answers we want. I came across this site last weekend, when a TV-commentator mentioned it.

neutrino said:
I think this book will give us all the answers we want. I came across this site last weekend, when a TV-commentator mentioned it.

150 english pounds = over $300 usd = insane price for a book
plus it is all guesses as no offical reports are made

yes the fine is over the top
no mac is NOT WINNING AS A RESULT of the data
THE DATA is not that big a deal
the cover up is the real crime
ie lieing to the sports officals
everyone spys at the top levels of F-1
and cheats [bends the rules]
the red team more then most
but they sure cry the loudest when ever someone else wins

1. What does it mean for McLaren to be excluded from the Constructors Championship?

Being excluded from the Constructors Championship means that McLaren will not be able to participate in the championship and will not earn any points towards the championship standings. This is usually due to a violation of the rules or regulations set by the governing body of the sport.

2. Why was McLaren excluded from the Constructors Championship?

McLaren may have been excluded from the Constructors Championship for various reasons, such as using illegal or unauthorized parts on their car, breaking a specific rule or regulation, or failing to comply with technical regulations set by the governing body.

3. Will McLaren be able to compete in other races or championships?

Yes, McLaren will still be able to compete in other races and championships that they are eligible for. Being excluded from the Constructors Championship does not mean that they are banned from all racing activities.

4. Can McLaren appeal the decision to exclude them from the Constructors Championship?

Yes, McLaren has the right to appeal the decision to exclude them from the Constructors Championship. They can present their case to the governing body and provide evidence to support their appeal.

5. How will McLaren's exclusion affect their future in the sport?

McLaren's exclusion from the Constructors Championship may have an impact on their reputation and credibility in the sport. It may also affect their ability to secure sponsors and funding for future races. However, they can work towards rectifying the issue and regaining their position in the championship in the future.

Back