Which major has better job market prospects, mechanical or electrical?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
MEM33
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hello all, I am a Mechanical major at Drexel University. I am throwing this up for debate...Which major has a better job market after graduation, mechanical or electrical?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MEM33 said:
Hello all, I am a Mechanical major at Drexel University. I am throwing this up for debate...Which major has a better job market after graduation, mechanical or electrical?

They both ebb and flow. Over the last 10 years or so, in the United States, the job market for Electrical Engineers has been superior to that for Mechanical. That said, they are both not as good as they were in the 80s and 90s.

Personally, I would study what you're passionate about. You're far better off being a good Mechanical engineer than a mediocre Electrical Engineer, even if the market for EEs is a bit better.
 
Do what you want to do. IMO, the job market should only be a concern if you're truly worried that you'll do a degree in something you like, but then not be able to find a job that's at all related to that subject, so you'll end up doing something completely unrelated which you hate. In the case of engineering, I don't think that's a very big concern.
 
thegreenlaser said:
Do what you want to do. IMO, the job market should only be a concern if you're truly worried that you'll do a degree in something you like, but then not be able to find a job that's at all related to that subject, so you'll end up doing something completely unrelated which you hate. In the case of engineering, I don't think that's a very big concern.

Good point. Coming into the program I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I figured I would be a mechanical major, since it is the broadest of the bunch. Now that I have been exposed to quite a few different classes, I find control theory very interesting. At my school you can concentrate in control theory as a mechanical or electrical major. I guess my specific question can you enter the field of something like controls with a mechanical degree?

Thanks,
Mem33