Mentioning incomplete research on personal statement?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving simulating neural spiking and computing correlation functions between firing rate and stimulus. The results were compared to figures predicted in a book and the project ultimately took 6 months. The individual faced technical difficulties and ultimately decided to switch to astronomy. Despite not completing the project, they see it as a valuable learning experience and plan to highlight it in their graduate school applications.
Simfish
Gold Member
Okay, so one year ago, I did a small project with an applied math professor. Basically, what I did was write a program (in C, for speed) to simulate neural spiking (basically, when sufficiently depolarized, the neuron will "fire" and generate an action potential). The program then computed the correlation function between the firing rate and the stimulus (we tried two values of stimuli - constant stimuli and white noise stimuli, and various "time bins" to show which stimuli decayed over time and which stimuli didn't decay over time) - and used that correlation function to produce a diagram of the spike-triggered average stimulus. After plotting the correlation function over time for a Gaussian stimulus, we eventually able to match the figures that were predicted in the book (from Figure 1.9 in Abbott's "Theoretical Neuroscience").

The reading and project ultimately took around 6 months (I was also reading papers for the next step - papers involving taking the integrals of stochastic integrals). Unfortunately, my research stalled after that (I took a very heavy course load that quarter, and I was also experiencing some technical difficulties as well [1] - it's actually very hard to get help for certain disciplines involving the C language, since people in my school usually don't code things in C, and none of the popular websites even help). After a sufficiently long break, I ultimately learned that my chances were a lot better for astronomy than for applied math/theoretical neuroscience, and switched to astronomy (I actually always liked astronomy - the decision was really one between astronomy and theoretical biology). What this means is that my research ended unfinished.

So I did manage to produce something useful (albeit something that the researchers already did). And I do feel that it was a valuable learning experience. However, the fact that I left could stir up some suspicion that I don't carry projects to completion (although I do hope to show that what happened then isn't going to happen for astronomy - because I really don't see myself doing anything other than astronomy now).

[1] See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=360041 for details - I'm sure that I could eventually get it corrected with time, but by the time my heavy quarter was over, I had already decided to switch to astro

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simfish said:
So I did manage to produce something useful (albeit something that the researchers already did). And I do feel that it was a valuable learning experience. However, the fact that I left could stir up some suspicion that I don't carry projects to completion.

You got results. That's completion.

Also, you can't please everyone and in graduate school admissions there is no point trying. You just need to get one committee to say yes, and if it makes you worse off with everyone else, it doesn't make any difference.

Okay, good points. That's definitely true.

Simfish said:
The program then computed the correlation function between the firing rate and the stimulus (we tried two values of stimuli - constant stimuli and white noise stimuli, and various "time bins" to show which stimuli decayed over time and which stimuli didn't decay over time) - and used that correlation function to produce a diagram of the spike-triggered average stimulus. After plotting the correlation function over time for a Gaussian stimulus, we eventually able to match the figures that were predicted in the book (from Figure 1.9 in Abbott's "Theoretical Neuroscience").

<snip>

So I did manage to produce something useful (albeit something that the researchers already did). And I do feel that it was a valuable learning experience.

I second twofish's comment, definitely include this experience. Spending a paragraph expanding on why this was a good learning experience- what you learned about the process of research, for example- should impress the committee.

As a scientist, it is important to recognize that research projects can often be complex and time-consuming, and it is not uncommon for them to remain unfinished due to various reasons. In the case of your project, it seems that your heavy course load and technical difficulties led you to switch to a different field of study. This does not necessarily reflect poorly on your ability to carry projects to completion, as you have acknowledged that you were able to produce a valuable contribution to the field and that it was a valuable learning experience for you. It is also important to remember that research is a dynamic process and it is not always possible to predict where it may lead. Your decision to switch fields does not invalidate the work you have done and it is important to highlight the skills and knowledge you gained from your research experience in your personal statement. It is also worth mentioning that your interest in and commitment to astronomy has remained strong, and you are confident in your ability to see future projects through to completion in this field. Overall, your personal statement should focus on highlighting your strengths and experiences, rather than dwelling on any unfinished research projects.

What is considered incomplete research on a personal statement?

Incomplete research on a personal statement refers to any studies or experiments that have not been fully conducted or analyzed. This can also include ongoing research projects that have not yet been published or finalized.

Should I mention my incomplete research on my personal statement?

It depends on the purpose of your personal statement. If your incomplete research is relevant to the program or job you are applying for, then it may be beneficial to mention it. However, if it is not directly related or does not add value to your statement, it is best to leave it out.

How much detail should I include about my incomplete research?

It is important to strike a balance between providing enough detail to showcase your research skills and not overwhelming the reader with technical jargon. Focus on highlighting the objectives, methods, and potential impact of your incomplete research.

Will mentioning incomplete research hurt my chances of being accepted?

Not necessarily. Admissions committees or employers are typically interested in your potential and ability to conduct research, rather than solely focusing on completed projects. However, be prepared to explain why the research is incomplete and what steps you plan to take to complete it.

Can I include my incomplete research on my resume or CV instead of my personal statement?

Yes, you can include your incomplete research on your resume or CV if it is relevant to the position you are applying for. However, be sure to clearly label it as ongoing or incomplete research to avoid any confusion.