Mentor Application: Harness Your Knowledge & Experience to Impact Others

• Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
In summary, Greg B., the PF main administrator, decides who to invite to become mentors and moderators. However, Enrico Fermi, the physicist who designed and built the first nuclear reactor, was not invited. Enrico Fermi was not very good at drawing circles, which is why he was not chosen.
ergospherical
Good evening fellow members,

I would like to humbly apply for the position of mentor. Although this is long overdue and pretty much a shoe-in at this point, I've taken the liberty of creating a brief campaign poster to highlight some of the benefits.
1630345470710.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes Leo Liu, Twigg, pinball1970 and 12 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg B., the PF main administrator, decides who to invite to become mentors and moderators, to the best that I'm aware.

• Informative
Likes ergospherical
But Enrico is looking Marvelously fit...

You have a massive code rewrite to ensure server performance?

Ah frick no it's meant to say I have a massive container full of Nigella Lawson's creamy potato gratin

• Love
  • Haha
Likes Evo and Hamiltonian
And apparently Enrico was not very good at drawing circles (or at least the center of the circles)... :smile:

symbolipoint said:
Greg B., the PF main administrator, decides who to invite to become mentors and moderators, to the best that I'm aware.
Well, yes... But as with being invited to join the Avengers, the candidate will have acquired their superpowers before they are considered for the team. Thus, every mentor has a different origin story. In my case I was bitten by a radioactive doodlebug as a child; but only after my uncle Ben's facebook feed was overwhelmed by relativity-denying trolls did I understand that the powers conferred by that bite must be used to fight for good.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Astronuc, phinds, Hornbein and 8 others
Nugatory said:
Well, yes... But as with being invited to join the Avengers, the candidate will have acquired their superpowers before they are considered for the team. Thus, every mentor has a different origin story. In my case I was bitten by a radioactive doodlebug as a child; but only after my uncle Ben's facebook feed was overwhelmed by relativity-denying trolls did I understand that the powers conferred by that bite must be used to fight for good.
I was cloned by the Banach-Tarski method.

Likes bhobba
To be serious, I think many science advisors would be great mentors. As a mentor, it does impact your time, and people do not always have that in abundance. I am retired, so it's fine for me, but others not necessarily so. I got my call up from Greg.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Evo
No way he knows that many numbers. There's only ten fingers to count on.

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian, Ibix and bhobba
ergospherical said:
Ah frick no it's meant to say I have a massive container full of Nigella Lawson's creamy potato gratin
I saw Nigella once in Panzer's deli in St John's Wood. As she prefers short ugly men she clearly wasn't interested in being recognised by me.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, pinball1970, Evo and 2 others
ergospherical said:

I would like to humbly apply for the position of mentor. Although this is long overdue and pretty much a shoe-in at this point, I've taken the liberty of creating a brief campaign poster to highlight some of the benefits.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/288336
That is very big talk from an Atom.
I still upvoted your post though.

• Haha
Likes bhobba and PeroK
pinball1970 said:
That is very big talk from an Atom.
I still upvoted your post though.
Give us an emoticon to signify, "That is Interesting".

My feeling on the quote from pinball1970 is not "Wow" and is not "Like" (but neither is it 'Dislike').

Likes bhobba
berkeman said:
And curiously non-Italian...
Enrico%20Fermi%20chalkboard_0.jpg
berkeman said:
And apparently Enrico was not very good at drawing circles (or at least the center of the circles)... :smile:
https://hep.uchicago.edu/~frisch/Enrico_Fermi_protest_v3a.pdf
I am not the first to doubt that Enrico Fermi would make the much discussed ‘mistake’ on the blackboard shown in the 1991 US stamp (Figure 1). In a letter to Nature in 1992, Richard Garwin wrote “...it is difficult to believe that Fermi could have written it...”, and then goes on to write “The most probably explanation is that Enrico Fermi, a great physicist, both in theory and experiment, and a man full of fun and humour, was having a little fun with the photographer.”[2]. In a Symposium on Fermi in 2001, Jim Cronin suggested that ‘”He might have been pulling our leg”[1].
However, I have not been able to think of a physical process or object that the diagram describes. While striking and appealing, I think it too is a subtle but, with some thought obvious, ‘mistake’. My hypothesis is that this too is a witty protest– Fermi was told to draw a diagram as well as write some equations on the board, and he drew a picture that has no basis in physics. I personally think it is a brilliant response to a spur-of-the-moment need in its clarity and appeal [5]

Here's the blackboard from another viewpoint and another instant in likely the same photo shoot.
Enrico_Fermi_at_the_blackboard.jpg

These photos brings back memories of my University classes. 😍

Likes bhobba
dlgoff said:
These photos brings back memories of my University classes. 😍
You went to uni in Italy? I had no idea!

• Haha
Likes dlgoff and anorlunda
ergospherical said:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/288336
I'm convinced. @Greg Bernhardt, make him a mentor.

• Haha
Likes ergospherical, Greg Bernhardt and bhobba
StevieTNZ said:
I'm convinced. @Greg Bernhardt, make him a mentor.
Okay. We are pleased to announce that @EnricoFermi is now a Mentor.

Oh, wait...

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes 256bits, Wrichik Basu, ergospherical and 3 others
In fact:
I move, That ergospherical be appointed a Mentor.

The question is the motion be agreed to. Those of that opinion will say aye, to the contrary no...

Likes ergospherical
aye

• Haha
  • Love
Likes dlgoff, DaveE and berkeman
Thread locked before the landslide victory becomes any bigger. The Mentors are recounting the ballot(s). This may take a while... o0)

• Haha
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, bhobba, dlgoff and 1 other person
Update -- It looks like the recount will take about 10 days...

• Haha
Likes pbuk

What is a mentor application?

A mentor application is a tool or program that connects individuals with knowledge and experience in a particular field with those seeking guidance and support in that field. It allows mentors to share their expertise and help others achieve their goals.

How does a mentor application work?

A mentor application typically involves a matching process, where mentees fill out a profile outlining their goals and interests, and mentors do the same. The application then uses algorithms or human moderators to match mentees with mentors based on compatibility. Once matched, the mentor and mentee can communicate and work together to achieve the mentee's goals.

What are the benefits of using a mentor application?

Using a mentor application can provide numerous benefits, including access to valuable knowledge and experience, personalized guidance and support, networking opportunities, and accountability. It can also save time and effort in finding a suitable mentor and provide a structured and organized approach to mentorship.

What qualifications do I need to become a mentor?

The qualifications to become a mentor may vary depending on the specific mentor application. However, in general, mentors should have a strong knowledge and experience in their field, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a willingness to share their expertise and support others.

How do I apply to become a mentor?

To apply to become a mentor, you will need to fill out an application or profile on the mentor application platform. This may involve providing information about your background, qualifications, and areas of expertise. Some mentor applications may also require a screening or interview process before being accepted as a mentor.