Mexican immigration to U.S. stalls

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the Arizona law, which makes it easier for law enforcement to determine a person's legal status, appears to be having a positive effect on reducing illegal immigration to the US.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It appears that not only has illegal immigration of Mexicans to the US sharply decreased, Mexicans are also returning to Mexico in larg numbers.

Between 2005 and 2010, 1.4-million Mexicans immigrated to the United States, less than half the number that migrated from 1995 to 2000. At the same time, the number of Mexicans and their children who moved to Mexico in the same five-year period rose to 1.4 million, about double the number that did so from 1995 to 2000.

The estimates are based on data from the U.S. Census Bureau and on Mexican census data. The most recent data indicate that the historic flow of migrants into the U.S. might even have started to reverse.

"We're fairly confident that by the end of the period we were seeing more people moving to Mexico than leaving" for the United States, said co-author Jeffrey S. Passel, a senior demographer at the Pew Hispanic Center.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...on-to-us-stalls-heated-debate-over-cause.html

Physics news on Phys.org
My knowledge of Mexican internal affairs isn't brilliant but the opening paragraphs on the wiki page are enlightening and possibly relevant to this topic; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico
Wiki said:
Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time that an opposition party won the presidency from the Institutional Revolutionary Party.

Mexico has one of the world's largest economies, and is considered both a regional power and middle power. In addition, Mexico was the first Latin American member of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development OECD (since 1994), and considered an upper-middle income country by the World Bank. Mexico is considered a newly industrialized country and an emerging power. It has the thirteenth largest nominal GDP and the eleventh largest by purchasing power parity. The economy is strongly linked to those of its North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners, especially the United States. Mexico ranks fifth in the world and first in the Americas by number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites with 31, and in 2007 was the tenth most visited country in the world with 21.4 million international arrivals per year.

Which column is the real GDP growth rate for the US and which for Mexico?

Code:
2006    3.2     4.8
2007    2        3.2
2008    1.1     1.3
2009   -2.6    -6.5
2010     2.8     5.5

The recession makes a handy reason for fewer illegal immigrants, but the US isn't the only country to be affected by the recession. Mexcio has had a higher real growth rate in the GDP than the US for quite some time, but it's also a more volatile economy - i.e. the impact of recessions are amplified as well. I think the economy probably has had an effect, but I think it has to be more complicated than just that.

Evo said:
It appears that not only has illegal immigration of Mexicans to the US sharply decreased, Mexicans are also returning to Mexico in larg numbers.
Yeah, I've been reading about this too. Hopefully this trend will continue. There's too many Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, etc., especially of the unsavory gang-affiliated type, here as it is, imho.

I'm very much in favor of any (state and federal) laws allowing questioning of Hispanic/Latino looking people regarding their legality.

If they're not legal, then deport them. It's the law. And a good law, imo.

ThomasT said:
I'm very much in favor of any (state and federal) laws allowing questioning of Hispanic/Latino looking people regarding their legality.

This is the part of Arizona's law that I have the most problems with.

HB2162 made some changes to the original SB1070 that make the law less onerous. For example, under the amended law, police try to determine the status of people that are already stopped for some other reason - they can't just stop a person on the street because they're Hispanic/Latino looking. The amended law at least explains how a stopped person verifies they're a legal resident (drivers license, etc).

The original version of the law was outrageous as written (and as signed into law originally), as it appeared that it literally did allow questioning of Hispanic/Latino looking people regarding their legality simply because they appeared to be Hispanic/Lationo - plus it left one wondering how a person proved the reason they had no immigration papers was because they were born in the US and weren't an immigrant.

I'm still pretty dubious how this law will actually work in practice if it's upheld by the SCOTUS. (Not to mention that signing the original version into law and amending it after the fact created extra confusion amidst the firestorm of public reaction this law has created.)

Last edited:
ThomasT said:
There's too many Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans

I hope you forgot to include the term "illegal"?

Greg Bernhardt said:

One would hope so, but the "illegal" part is often forgotten, regardless of how a person feels about immigration, minorities, or which political party one belongs to.

Just one reason this issue carries so much emotional baggage and is such a loser of an issue for Republicans.

Evo said:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...on-to-us-stalls-heated-debate-over-cause.html

It may have to see with a decline in the rate of growth in Mexico's population:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MXPopgrowth.jpg

Their economy is better-able to absorb the growth, i.e., all things being equal (re: economic growth), there is less of a mismatch between supply and demand of jobs.

From what I've heard, many Mexicans would travel back-and-forth; staying in the U.S when needed, going back home otherwise, until border control got strict, and then decided to stay here. I lost my source for this one; I'll look it up.

And, yes, you don't want those Mexicans taking away those $3.25/hr-jobs, we're all after,right? You may want to consider the fact that, illegal-or-not, immigrants in small towns buy groceries, rent appartments, etc., which does help local economies. So it is not that clear whether the net economic effect is positive or negative.

Yes I guess that NAFTA and the declining birth rates in Latin America, especially Mexico, have done more to curb uncontrolled immigration than any immigration policy or fence.

I read this on Yahoo, I thought this was pretty interesting for everyone clamoring for jobs that these illegals took from them.

rqureshi24 said:
I read this on Yahoo, I thought this was pretty interesting for everyone clamoring for jobs that these illegals took from them.
Some long-term immigrants from Mexico took jobs in poultry raising, etc that many Mainers didn't want. Guess what?! The short-term harvesting jobs around here (broccoli, cabbage, apples, pears, etc) are already falling to workers from Jamaica/Haiti, etc. People who live here need to have some dependable year-round employment, so the short-term agricultural jobs go to people who will work long hours in the harvest season, earn their money and go back home. No harm, no foul.

turbo said:
Some long-term immigrants from Mexico took jobs in poultry raising, etc that many Mainers didn't want. Guess what?! The short-term harvesting jobs around here (broccoli, cabbage, apples, pears, etc) are already falling to workers from Jamaica/Haiti, etc. People who live here need to have some dependable year-round employment, so the short-term agricultural jobs go to people who will work long hours in the harvest season, earn their money and go back home. No harm, no foul.

Moreover, from what I have read, it was the Mexicans who traveled back-and-forth during harvesting time, until the borders were more harshly enforced. They then decided to stay here, since , if they left, they thought they could not get back in.

Greg Bernhardt said:

No, there is a huge difference between listing nationalities and simply saying "illegal", even so, I disagree with such an assessment as it seem to generalize illegals as people from south of U.S. boarders.

"But as much as I love America, I have to go where the best American jobs are."

Smart.

What does the term "Mexican immigration to U.S. stalls" mean?

The term "Mexican immigration to U.S. stalls" refers to the decrease in the number of Mexican immigrants entering the United States in recent years. This decrease could be due to various factors such as stricter immigration policies, economic conditions in both countries, and changes in the demographic profile of Mexico.

Why has Mexican immigration to the U.S. decreased?

The decrease in Mexican immigration to the U.S. can be attributed to several reasons. One major factor is the tightening of immigration policies by the U.S. government, making it more difficult for Mexican immigrants to enter the country. Additionally, there has been a decrease in the demand for low-skilled labor in the U.S. and an increase in economic opportunities in Mexico, leading to fewer Mexicans seeking to immigrate.

What impact does Mexican immigration have on the U.S. economy?

The impact of Mexican immigration on the U.S. economy is a complex issue. While Mexican immigrants contribute to the economy by filling low-skilled labor gaps and paying taxes, they also compete with native-born workers for jobs and may strain public resources such as healthcare and education. However, studies have shown that overall, the economic impact of Mexican immigration on the U.S. is positive.

What are some common misconceptions about Mexican immigration to the U.S.?

One common misconception about Mexican immigration to the U.S. is that all Mexican immigrants enter the country illegally. In reality, a large portion of Mexican immigrants are legal permanent residents or have temporary work visas. Another misconception is that Mexican immigrants do not contribute to the economy and solely rely on government assistance. However, many Mexican immigrants work and pay taxes, and the majority of them do not receive government benefits.

What does the future of Mexican immigration to the U.S. look like?

The future of Mexican immigration to the U.S. is uncertain. While the number of Mexican immigrants entering the U.S. has decreased in recent years, it is unclear if this trend will continue. Factors such as changes in immigration policies, economic conditions, and the relationship between the U.S. and Mexico will likely play a significant role in shaping the future of Mexican immigration to the U.S.