Mike Douglas dead on his 81st birthday

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mike Douglas, former TV talk show host, dead at 81 in West Palm

Associated Press
Posted August 11 2006, 1:00 PM EDT

WEST PALM BEACH -- Mike Douglas, who drew on his affable personality and singing talent during 21 years as host of a syndicated television talk show, died Friday on his 81st birthday, his wife said.

He died at 5:30 a.m. at a Palm Beach Gardens hospital, Genevieve Douglas said. She wasn't sure of the cause yet, but said he was admitted Thursday. [continued]

I would imagine that most people here don't even know who this is, but his was a household name for about twenty years.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Ivan Seeking said:
I would imagine that most people here don't even know who this is, but his was a household name for about twenty years.

I actually do (which means I've just dated myself). Rosie O'Donnell unbashly mentioned that she fashioned her talk show based on the Mike Douglas Show.

BTW, didn't he also used to own several game shows, including Wheel of Fortune? Or was it Jeopardy?

Zz.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think that's right. You might say that he was a really big wheel in Hollywood?

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ZapperZ said:
I actually do

As do I, and I can still picture him.

Danger
Gold Member
ZapperZ said:
BTW, didn't he also used to own several game shows, including Wheel of Fortune? Or was it Jeopardy?
I'm not sure whether he had any or not. You might be getting him mixed up with Merv Griffin, who owns several and also had a talk show about the same time.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Danger said:
I'm not sure whether he had any or not. You might be getting him mixed up with Merv Griffin, who owns several and also had a talk show about the same time.

Oooh.. that could be it.

Now tell me also that Mike Douglas did record a singing album, didn't he? Or was that also Merv Griffin? :)

Zz.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I've actually seen the Mike Douglas show, which at the time was produced in Philadelphia. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mike_Douglas_Show
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Douglas

He really did have a very charming and affable personality, well at least on TV, and he was very involved in the entertainment industry.

The Merv is Mr. Game Show.

Mike and Merv did cross paths in Beverly Hills, and both were singers.

He [Griffin] earned enough to form his own record label, Panda Records, and his self-released album Songs by Merv Griffin was the first American album recorded on magnetic tape.
from Wikipedia's article on Merv.

Douglas recorded a Christmas album in 1979, and before that, I think he recorded some singles. He occasionally sang on his show.

Last edited: