Minimum ammonia to dissolve 0.1 mol AgCl with Ksp and Kf

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
zorro
Messages
1,378
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What is the minimum quantity of ammonia which must be added to 1L of a solution in order to dissolve 0.1 mole silver chloride by forming [Ag(NH3)2]+.
Given Ksp- 10^-10 and Kf- 10^8


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I used the equation (which I derived) s=c^2/(Ksp)(Kf) (assuming almost all amount of AgCl converts to complex and some other approximations)
where s is the solubility of AgCl and c is the concentration of NH3 (both in mol/litre)

I solved and got c as 1 mole.
But answer given is 1.2 mole.

Are my assumptions wrong, or there is some other thing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let s be the solubility of AgCl in cM NH3. Let x mole/L be the amount of salt forming complex

At equilibrium.
Ag+ = s-x
ksp=(s-x)(s)
kf= x/(s-x)(c-2x)^2
Since kf is very high, x approaches s. Thus s-x would be very small. Let this value be y. Since x is small, 2x can be ignored w.r.t c.

i.e. c-2x = c
ksp=ys
kf=s^2/ksp(c)^2
i.e.
s=c x (ksp x kf)^1/2

Sorry, I wrote the earlier expression wrong.
 
Oops. Then that will make the calculations very lengthy.
Is there any method by which we solve this way and then add 0.2 mole by giving some reason?
 
What is [Cl-]?

What is maximum possible [Ag+]?

What is complex concentration?

Calculate ammonia concentration that fits.

--
 
max [CL-] is 0.1
max [Ag+] is 10^-9

How to calculate ammonia concentratrion that fits?
 
Complex concentration will be practically 0.1.
From this
[NH3]^2 = 0.1/(10^-9)(10^8)
I got [NH3] as 1M
not 1.2.