Molecular orbital theory of heterodiatomics?

In summary, determining the order of molecular orbitals in heterodiatomic molecules can be confusing due to the varying conventions used in different sources. In general, the order follows a pattern of 1s, 2s, 3s, 1p, 2p, 4s, with s representing sigma and p representing pi. However, the specific order may differ depending on whether the molecule is a homodiatomic or heterodiatomic.
Justhanging

Homework Statement

What determines the order of the Molecular orbitals in heterodiatomics?

The Attempt at a Solution

In my book, I have NO with an order of

1s 2s 3s 1p 2p 4s

Where s means sigma and p means pi.

Also sometimes I see in the book the ordering being 1sigma, 1sigma*(antibonding) instead of 1sigma, 2 sigma like in NO. Is this difference caused by homodiatomics versus heterodiatomics?

I know the order of homodiatomic MO but I don't know how to find it for heterodiatomics. Can someone clarify this? Maybe its a convention or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
I need straightforward answers not Quantum Mechanics.

1. What is the basis of the molecular orbital theory of heterodiatomics?

The molecular orbital theory of heterodiatomics is based on the principle that the electrons in a molecule can be described by a set of molecular orbitals, which are created by the overlap of atomic orbitals from the constituent atoms.

2. How does the molecular orbital theory explain the bonding in heterodiatomics?

In heterodiatomics, the molecular orbitals formed by the overlap of atomic orbitals can either be bonding or antibonding. Bonding molecular orbitals have lower energy and contribute to the stability of the molecule, while antibonding molecular orbitals have higher energy and contribute to the destabilization of the molecule.

3. What is the significance of the energy level diagram in the molecular orbital theory of heterodiatomics?

The energy level diagram in the molecular orbital theory of heterodiatomics shows the relative energy levels of the molecular orbitals. This diagram helps to predict the stability and reactivity of the molecule, as well as the type of bonding present.

4. How does the molecular orbital theory explain the paramagnetic or diamagnetic nature of heterodiatomics?

Heterodiatomics can be either paramagnetic or diamagnetic depending on the number of electrons present in the bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals. If there are unpaired electrons in the molecular orbitals, the molecule will be paramagnetic. If all electrons are paired, the molecule will be diamagnetic.

5. What is the relationship between the molecular orbital theory and the valence bond theory?

The molecular orbital theory and the valence bond theory are two different approaches to describe the bonding in molecules. The molecular orbital theory takes into account the entire molecule as a whole, while the valence bond theory focuses on the individual bonds between atoms. However, both theories are complementary and can be used together to provide a more complete understanding of chemical bonding.