Molecular Shape of BF3: Trigonal Planar or Pyramidal?

In summary, the molecule BY3 has a confirmed polarity and could potentially have a trigonal pyramidal or T shaped molecular shape, but not a trigonal planar shape. However, it is uncertain what element Y represents in the molecule.
daphnelee-mh
Homework Statement
Experiment confirms the polarity of the molecule of formula BY3. Which molecular shapes are possible and which impossible for BY3?
Relevant Equations
-
Answer given is " The molecule could be trigonal pyramidal or T shaped, but could not be trigonal planar."

I am confused as the shape of BF3 is trigonal planar...
1576333325840.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose Y in the BY3 is intended to mean "some particular element", not "every possible element". In other words, question asks about possible shape of a specific molecule for which we know it is polar, not for a shape of every existing molecule - as not all of them will be identical (some will be polar, some will be not polar).

daphnelee-mh said:
Homework Statement:: Experiment confirms the polarity of the molecule of formula BY3. Which molecular shapes are possible and which impossible for BY3?
Homework Equations:: -

Answer given is " The molecule could be trigonal pyramidal or T shaped, but could not be trigonal planar."

Maybe they mean trigonal planar is not polar in the way BY3 is when B is not in the same plane as the Y's?

Last edited:
It is hard to know exactly what Y represents. Is there part of the problem statement not shown in the question?

No, just written as this

daphnelee-mh said:
Experiment confirms the polarity of the molecule of formula BY3.
snip
Is BF3 polar?

Nonpolar, maybe I misunderstood the meaning, as I thought " confirms the polarity " may be polar or nonpolar

I can guarantee you that Y means "unspecified element" as others have mentioned.

"Confirms the polarity..." is actually poor wording. You should read it as "confirms it is a polar molecule".

1. What is the molecular shape of BF3?

The molecular shape of BF3 is trigonal planar.

2. Why is BF3 considered to have a trigonal planar shape?

BF3 has a trigonal planar shape because it has three bonded atoms and no lone pairs of electrons, resulting in a flat, triangular arrangement.

3. Does BF3 have any lone pairs of electrons?

No, BF3 does not have any lone pairs of electrons. All of its valence electrons are involved in bonding with other atoms.

4. How is the molecular shape of BF3 determined?

The molecular shape of BF3 is determined by its electron geometry, which is trigonal planar, and its molecular geometry, which is also trigonal planar.

5. Is the molecular shape of BF3 polar or nonpolar?

The molecular shape of BF3 is nonpolar because the polar bonds between boron and fluorine cancel each other out due to their equal and opposite pulls on the shared electrons, resulting in a net dipole moment of 0.