Molecular shape

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter daphnelee-mh
  • Start date
daphnelee-mh
Homework Statement:
Experiment confirms the polarity of the molecule of formula BY3. Which molecular shapes are possible and which impossible for BY3?
Relevant Equations:
-
Answer given is " The molecule could be trigonal pyramidal or T shaped, but could not be trigonal planar."

I am confused as the shape of BF3 is trigonal planar...

1576333325840.png

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
I suppose Y in the BY3 is intended to mean "some particular element", not "every possible element". In other words, question asks about possible shape of a specific molecule for which we know it is polar, not for a shape of every existing molecule - as not all of them will be identical (some will be polar, some will be not polar).

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Homework Statement:: Experiment confirms the polarity of the molecule of formula BY3. Which molecular shapes are possible and which impossible for BY3?
Homework Equations:: -

Answer given is " The molecule could be trigonal pyramidal or T shaped, but could not be trigonal planar."

Maybe they mean trigonal planar is not polar in the way BY3 is when B is not in the same plane as the Y's?

Last edited:
jim mcnamara
Mentor
It is hard to know exactly what Y represents. Is there part of the problem statement not shown in the question?

daphnelee-mh
No, just written as this

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Experiment confirms the polarity of the molecule of formula BY3.
snip
Is BF3 polar?

daphnelee-mh
Nonpolar, maybe I misunderstood the meaning, as I thought " confirms the polarity " may be polar or nonpolar

Dr_Nate
Science Advisor
I can guarantee you that Y means "unspecified element" as others have mentioned.

"Confirms the polarity..." is actually poor wording. You should read it as "confirms it is a polar molecule".

Suggested for: Molecular shape

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies