1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moles of a conjugate base in a buffer solution

1. Jul 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You need to produce a buffer solution that has a pH of 5.70. You already have a solution that contains 0.0200 moles of acetic acid. Using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation calculate the moles of sodium acetate needed to create a buffer with the desired pH? The Ka of acetic acid is 1.8 × 10^-5.

2. Relevant equations
    pKa = -log (Ka)
    pH= pKa + log (base / acid)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    pKa= -log (1.8 × 10^-5) = 4.74
    5.70 = 4.74 + log (base/acid)
    Unfortunately, I have been staring at this problem for about an hour and am unsure how to find the concentration of the acid to discover the consent ration of the base. I am not sure how to proceed since the problem does not give a volume to find the molarity.
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Hint: you don't need the acid concentration.

[tex]C_A = \frac {n_A} {V}[/tex]
    [tex]C_B = \frac {n_B} {V}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {C_A}{C_B} = ...[/tex]

4. Jul 9, 2015 #3
    I appreciate your responce, any responce really. Although, your equation set seems to need a volume as well, and the problem I am to work out does not include one. That is a big area I am being messed up. As well as the problem states to use that particular equation to find the moles of base needed.

5. Jul 9, 2015 #4

Borek

Plug concentrations into ratio and see what happens. V/V = ?

6. Jul 9, 2015 #5
    Since the problem called for using the henderson-hasselbalch equation, and that entails using the concentration of the acid, I used the volume used in the lab for the titration (25 mL). Not sure if that is right... but I got an answer. I will check with a few of my class mates before lab in the morning. Thank you for your help.

7. Jul 9, 2015 #6

Borek

You don't need any specific volume.

V/V = 1 - volume cancels out. Ratio of concentrations (if these are concentrations in the same solution) is identical to the ratio of numbers of moles.

8. Jul 9, 2015 #7
    That very simple answer was probably the best answer you could have given me! Tha k you so very much for having the patience for dealing with slightly dense people like me!

9. Jul 9, 2015 #8

Borek

I hoped you will see it by yourself. You will learn much more when you put an effort and find such things by yourself, than when they are presented on a silver plate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted