1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monochloride compounds of the halogens!

1. Jul 2, 2007 #1
    These questions keep getting better and better :rolleyes:

So, for the monochloride compounds of the group 7 member i have to state and explain the trend in their reaction with water.

Iv searched the depths of the internet and havent found much. The only info i got was on iodine monochloride from wikipedia which states it undergoes hydrolysis in water.

If i was to give an educated guess id say that the greater the polarity of the compounds (ClF being the most and BrCl being the least) the more ionic in character and the greater the solubility.

That might not even be an answer but its all i can think of :frown:

any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2007 #2
    One thing that does happen is, that chlorine onwards, all the halogens have a d-orbital. This facilitates hydrolysis. Now, the products of hydrolysis depend on the element the halogen is attached to. If that element too can facilitate hydrolysis (extra d orbital), then you will get halo acids. Other wise, you will get oxo acids of halogens.

Regarding the solubility, its not just the polarity that you have to take into account. The two main factors are lattice energy and hydration energy. If lattice energy is greater than hydration energy, then the compound will have low solubility as thermodynamics favours that state. If hydration energy is greater than lattice energy, then the reverse is true. I think here chlorine is more soluble than flourine based on the above argument. You have to look at complete reactions though... half steps can be misleading.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?