Monoids as Categories .... Awodey Section 1.4, Example 13 ....

In summary, Evgeny.Makarov suggests viewing \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X,X) as a monoid in the usual sense of an algebraic structure rather than as a category. The fact that it is an algebraic monoid is obvious since function from $X$ to $X$ are elements and composition is the operation. But yes, since every monoid is a category, \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X) can be viewed as a category as well.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Steve Awodey's book: Category Theory (Second Edition) and am focused on Section 1.4 Examples of Categories ...

I need some help in order to fully understand some aspects of Section 1.4 Example 13 ...

Section 1.4 Example 13 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/8343
View attachment 8344In the above text by Awodey we read the following:

" ... ... But also for any set \(\displaystyle X\) the set of functions from \(\displaystyle X\) to \(\displaystyle X\) , written as

\(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X)\)

is a monoid under the operation of composition. More generally, for any object \(\displaystyle C\) in any Category \(\displaystyle C\), the set of arrows from \(\displaystyle C\) to \(\displaystyle C\), written as

\(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_C (C, C)\)

is a monoid under the composition operation of \(\displaystyle C\). ... ... "
I am slightly unsure regarding how to interpret the objects and arrows of \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X)\) and \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_C (C, C)\) when viewed as categories ... ... ?My interpretation of \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X)\) is that the single object is \(\displaystyle X\) and the arrows are the functions for \(\displaystyle X\) to \(\displaystyle X\) ... ... is that correct?My interpretation of \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_C (C, C)\) is that that the single object is \(\displaystyle C\) and the arrows are the arrows from \(\displaystyle C\) to \(\displaystyle C\) ... ... is that correct?Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am slightly unsure regarding how to interpret the objects and arrows of \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X)\) and \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_C (C, C)\) when viewed as categories ... ... ?
I think the author suggests viewing \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X)\) as a monoid in the usual sense of an algebraic structure rather than as a category. The fact that it is an algebraic monoid is obvious since function from $X$ to $X$ are elements and composition is the operation. But yes, since every monoid is a category, \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X)\) can be viewed as a category as well.

Peter said:
My interpretation of \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X)\) is that the single object is \(\displaystyle X\) and the arrows are the functions for \(\displaystyle X\) to \(\displaystyle X\) ... ... is that correct?
We can make anything to be the single object, for example, the symbol $*$: it does not matter. The arrows are indeed functions from $X$ to $X$, viewed as arrows from and to that single object.

Peter said:
My interpretation of \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_C (C, C)\) is that that the single object is \(\displaystyle C\) and the arrows are the arrows from \(\displaystyle C\) to \(\displaystyle C\) ... ... is that correct?
It can be viewed this way.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I think the author suggests viewing \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X)\) as a monoid in the usual sense of an algebraic structure rather than as a category. The fact that it is an algebraic monoid is obvious since function from $X$ to $X$ are elements and composition is the operation. But yes, since every monoid is a category, \(\displaystyle \text{HOM}_\text{Sets} (X, X)\) can be viewed as a category as well.

We can make anything to be the single object, for example, the symbol $*$: it does not matter. The arrows are indeed functions from $X$ to $X$, viewed as arrows from and to that single object.

It can be viewed this way.
Thanks Evgeny ... Appreciate your help...

Peter

Evgeny.Makarov is right. $Hom(X,X)$ is not viewed as a category, here.

See Example 1.5.1 of Simmons for a better explanation of how to view a monoid as a category.

steenis said:
Evgeny.Makarov is right. $Hom(X,X)$ is not viewed as a category, here.

See Example 1.5.1 of Simmons for a better explanation of how to view a monoid as a category.
Thanks Steenis ... will check Simmons ...

Peter

1. What is a monoid?

A monoid is an algebraic structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that is associative and has an identity element. It is a generalization of the concept of a group.

2. How are monoids related to categories?

In category theory, a monoid can be seen as a category with a single object and a set of morphisms that form a monoid under composition. This allows us to apply category theory concepts and techniques to monoids.

3. What is the significance of the example given in Awodey Section 1.4, Example 13?

This example shows how we can view the monoid structure of addition on natural numbers as a category with a single object and morphisms representing the addition operation. This demonstrates the connection between monoids and categories.

4. Can any monoid be represented as a category?

Yes, any monoid can be seen as a category with a single object. However, not all categories with a single object are monoids, as the binary operation may not be associative or have an identity element.

5. How are monoids useful in mathematics?

Monoids are useful for studying algebraic structures and their properties. They also have applications in computer science, particularly in programming and data structures.