Mosquito ringtone that's too high-pitched to hear
- Thread starter Math Is Hard
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Ring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 10K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Ouabache said:It appears as a digitized sine wave, ~15.2KHz (I see a weak 1st harmonic at ~9.2KHz and stronger 2nd harmonic at ~3.2KHz.
The harmonics would have a higher frequency than the fundamental [first harmonic], not lower.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,349
- 10
Thanks for pointing that out. The spectral analysis does indicate two peaks lower in frequency from the fundamental. They should be called subharmonicsIvan Seeking said:The harmonics would have a higher frequency than the fundamental [first harmonic], not lower.
(I am going to add your edition to my previous post)
Last edited:
- 3,777
- 2,002
I agree with other posters, that sound was on the edge of painful!
I had no trouble hearing it and I'm almost 48.
I had no trouble hearing it and I'm almost 48.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,349
- 10
Janus said:I agree with other posters, that sound was on the edge of painful!
I had no trouble hearing it and I'm almost 48.
I wonder what is your setup.
My speakers on my desktop PC are on the shelf below my PC, (the PC itself being on the top shelf along with the monitor) the volume of the original mp3 to me, sounds considerably below my background noise (mostly from cooling fans in PC). But as mentioned earlier, I could hear it fine when I turned up the volume and put my ear closer to the speakers.
Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
I had to turn the volume up all the way, but had no problem hearing the frequency. It wasn't unpleasant at all.