Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most Philosophical Modern Physicist?

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    Which modern physicist has also the best philosophical background?

It seems the founders of quantum had a more well-rounded education http://www.u.arizona.edu/~aversa/scholastic/3.%20J.%20Weisheipl,%20%22The%20Dignity%20of%20Science.%20Studies%20in%20the%20Philosophy%20of%20Science%20Presented%20to%20William%20Humbert%20Kane%20OP,%22%20The%20Thomist%2024%20(1961).pdf" [Broken]?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I used that book as a reference for a term paper that I wrote in an undergraduate class. While it is good, it is outdated due to all the advancement in physics in the last 3 decades, which is a lot!

I would say that Steven Weinberg has a lot of philosophical writings (and a few counter-religious ones too). His book "Facing Up: Science and Its Cultural Adversaries" deals not only societal issues, but philosophical as well. And I would argue that Robert Laughlin's "A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down" is utterly philosophical in nature as one of the strongest argument against Reductionism, deriving from Phil Anderson's infamous "More is Different" essay.

So I would consider all three as having strong philosophical leanings, beside being top-notch physicists.

Zz.

4. Jan 16, 2010 #3
    Yes, but I doubt Aspect's experiment, e.g., would have changed the meat of his philosophical conclusions.
    I have heard of A Different Universe. Have you heard of Stephen M. Barr? He is a theoretical physicist from the U. of Delaware, and he wrote https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Physics-Ancient-Faith-Stephen/dp/0268021988/".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Jan 21, 2010 #4
    Freeman Dyson. Knows the history of science well too.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook