Motorola Building in Chicago: Huge & Majestic

• Thread starter Grands
  • Start date
In summary: Anyway, maybe my opinion is influenced by the fact...I live in the US.In summary, the building is old but modern looking, and it seems that it is regularly cleaned.
Physics news on Phys.org
I see an old office building. Am I missing something? Is the awesome house behind it?

It's not the "Motorola House". It's Chicago's Merchandise Mart.

Likes Stavros Kiri
I enhanced the photo. It sais "LUXE HOME".

Yes it does. And my cat's name is mittens.

Luxe Home is not a sign on the home of Mr. and Mrs. Luxe or Mr. and Mrs. Motorola. It's a store, and in this case a store in a building with lots of other stores, called - wait for it - the Merchandise Mart.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes it does. And my cat's name is mittens.

Luxe Home is not a sign on the home of Mr. and Mrs. Luxe or Mr. and Mrs. Motorola. It's a store, and in this case a store in a building with lots of other stores, called - wait for it - the Merchandise Mart.
I do not object. I just noticed it.

Last edited:
And like I said, my cat's name is Mittens.

The name "Merchandise Mart" is also on the building (on the side, I think - see photos in the link below). It's a commercial building, kind of like a mall.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchandise_Mart

And regarding the OP's subject/inquiry
Grands said:
Look at how big is this structure, it's huge, I never seen something like this before, it seem the house of the King.

Don't you think it's awesome ?
I kind of agree, although nowdays there are a lot bigger buildings. But that one is kind of a classic one. Also
"When it opened in 1930, it was the largest building in the world, with 4,000,000 square feet (372,000 m2) of floor space."
(from the same link)

Vanadium 50 said:
But are you sure?
(jk ...) :smile:

Vanadium 50 said:

As an aside from this post, that's a really cute name for your cat! :biggrin: Are you willing to share photos of your cat here on PF, or is that too personal?

Back on topic, it is a huge office/commercial space (reportedly one of the largest in the world), but the picture of the building itself doesn't look all that impressive (I suppose that shouldn't be surprising, given that the building was built in 1930 -- 88 years does leave its mark on a building).

Likes Grands
StatGuy2000 said:
Back on topic, it is a huge office/commercial space (reportedly one of the largest in the world), but the picture of the building itself doesn't look all that impressive (I suppose that shouldn't be surprising, given that the building was built in 1930 -- 88 years does leave its mark on a building).
Do you mean that this building look old?

Maybe it's just me, but on my opinion look very modern, and is also very clean, it seems that there is someone that everyday cleans the place.

This is an example of old building https://www.coffeenews.it/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tre-vechie-costruzioni-1.jpg.

Grands said:
Do you mean that this building look old?

Maybe it's just me, but on my opinion look very modern, and is also very clean, it seems that there is someone that everyday cleans the place.

This is an example of old building https://www.coffeenews.it/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tre-vechie-costruzioni-1.jpg.

Well, it looks old in comparison to buildings in the US, which is a fairly young country -- the US has only been an independent nation since 1783, although the declaration of independence took place in 1775, and I think the oldest buildings in the US dating back to the European colonial period only date back to the late 17th century. (There are structures and ruins from Native American civilizations that are many centuries old, though)

By contrast, you guys in Italy have buildings that date back more than a 1000 years!

Likes Grands
StatGuy2000 said:
By contrast, you guys in Italy have buildings that date back more than a 1000 years!
Indeed! Consider my house built in 1920 is considered historic, but compared to Roman building, it's futuristic! :biggrin:

Likes Stavros Kiri and Grands
StatGuy2000 said:
Well, it looks old in comparison to buildings in the US, which is a fairly young country -- the US has only been an independent nation since 1783, although the declaration of independence took place in 1775, and I think the oldest buildings in the US dating back to the European colonial period only date back to the late 17th century. (There are structures and ruins from Native American civilizations that are many centuries old, though)

There are also building older then 2000 years like the Marcellus Theatre https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...er_Rome.jpg/1200px-Marcellus_theater_Rome.jpg.

Anyway, maybe my opinion is influenced by the fact that most of the houses in Italy are very old, and everything like the Merchandising Mart look very modern for me.

You know, when you are surrounded all the time by so old building, you sometime feel the necessity to see something that looks new, and in this situation even an american building of 1930 can seem modern.

A)
StatGuy2000 said:
See post #9

B)
StatGuy2000 said:
As an aside from this post, that's a really cute name for your cat! :biggrin: Are you willing to share photos of your cat here on PF, or is that too personal?
Cat's name being cute doesn't mean the cat is cute ...

Related to Motorola Building in Chicago: Huge & Majestic

1. What is the history of the Motorola Building in Chicago?

The Motorola Building in Chicago was built in 1929 and was originally known as the "Galvin Manufacturing Corporation Building." It was designed by the architectural firm, Holabird & Root, and served as the headquarters for the Motorola company until 2006.

2. How big is the Motorola Building in Chicago?

The Motorola Building covers an entire city block and is 1.5 million square feet in size. It has 18 floors and stands at 556 feet tall, making it one of the largest buildings in Chicago.

3. What makes the Motorola Building in Chicago unique?

The Motorola Building is considered a prime example of Art Deco architecture, with its impressive limestone facade, intricate details, and striking design. It also has a prominent clock tower that can be seen from several blocks away.

4. Is the Motorola Building in Chicago still in use?

No, the Motorola Building is no longer in use. After Motorola relocated their headquarters, the building was purchased by the city of Chicago in 2016. It is currently being redeveloped into a mixed-use space with offices, retail, and residential units.

5. Can the public visit the Motorola Building in Chicago?

Yes, the public can visit the Motorola Building in Chicago during regular business hours. However, access to certain areas may be restricted due to ongoing renovations. There are also plans to open a rooftop garden and observation deck for visitors to enjoy the stunning views of the city.