Have you seen the trailer for Pawn Sacrifice? Let's talk about it!

In summary: Otherwise, it's an interesting film. Ice Cube and Dr Dre were on set and part of the writing and direction team so I think pretty accurate :)
bballwaterboy
Is there a thread at PF devoted to discussing movies? If not, let me designate this one! :smile:

What recent movies have you seen or want to see? What did you like or dislike about them? ...Feel free to post anything movies-related that could be fun, interesting, or helpful!

Huge chess fan here, so I'm intrigued by the upcoming film, Pawn Sacrifice. It's gotten good, but limited reviews thus far over at Rotten Tomatoes. I've had some reservations, however, about Tobey Maguire playing Bobby Fischer, due to associating him forever with Spider-Man and Peter Parker's good-natured persona. It's hard to imagine Maguire playing such a dark - albeit brilliant - paranoid, and troubled character.

Alright, let the discussion begin!...:oldcool:

Physics news on Phys.org
After Gravity and Interstellar, I'm not sure I want to see another "lost in space" type of movie for a while, but I'll probably still see this one if only for Jessica Chastain's screen presence and superb acting (I loved her in Interstellar).

I do love space movies, however, in which there is some interesting and informed science involved (esp. where it's deeply woven into this plot), as opposed to ones that gloss over the science or, possibly worse, make it completely unrealistic. Thus, I loved films like Contact, Interstellar, and Sunshine. I wonder how "science-y" The Martian will be?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Straight Outta Compton was very good. I'm looking forward to The Martian

Oh yeah...How historically accurate was SOC (if you happen to know)?

And was there a moral or central message to the story that you saw? I had thought about seeing it, but ultimately was too busy and not sure if there may have been some moral message in the film that might have disagreed with (I'm very much anti-"gangster" hip-hop music if it promotes or glorifies violence and other bad virtues) and figured I'd catch it on Redbox or cheap dvd later on. But still curious about the film, nonetheless. I like rap and hip-hop music, but not its message/lyrics oftentimes.

bballwaterboy said:
How historically accurate was SOC (if you happen to know)?
Ice Cube and Dr Dre were on set and part of the writing and direction team so I think pretty accurate :)

bballwaterboy said:
And was there a moral or central message to the story that you saw?

There are certainly some messages, but it's mainly a biopic. If you don't have any interest in that time of history or hiphop music I might skip it.

What is "Pawn Sacrifice" about?

"Pawn Sacrifice" is a biographical drama film about the life of American chess prodigy, Bobby Fischer. It follows his rise to fame as a chess champion and his struggles with mental illness and paranoia during the height of the Cold War.

Who directed "Pawn Sacrifice"?

The film was directed by Edward Zwick, an American filmmaker known for his work on films such as "Glory", "The Last Samurai", and "Blood Diamond".

Who stars in "Pawn Sacrifice"?

The film stars Tobey Maguire as Bobby Fischer, Liev Schreiber as Boris Spassky, and Peter Sarsgaard as Fischer's manager, William Lombardy.

When was "Pawn Sacrifice" released?

The film was released on September 16, 2015 in the United States.

Is "Pawn Sacrifice" based on a true story?

Yes, "Pawn Sacrifice" is based on the true story of Bobby Fischer's life and his famous chess match against Boris Spassky in 1972.

Back