Musicians that went science route instead?

• Music
  • Thread starter infinitebubble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: Excellent and glad there is another classical guitarist in our forums... I'm privy to Issac Albeniz, Tarrega, Fernando Sor, and many of the Romantic classical music all written with such beautiful scales... I do not keep the fingernails long but add them later via nail extenders. Classical music for guitar is in it's low and not many care for it and it is a shame but at regular venues that play for free the crowds are gathered. Agree with the time not available to play and I now wished my career would have been music bound but not a music professor or high school music teacher... a full fledged musician at some symphony orchestra... but even they have daytime jobs or businesses.
infinitebubble
Ok... I've been at the piano since 4 yrs old (dad was a pianist) and play guitar (15 years old then). I've studied music until high school at which time I decided Pre-Med (lost interest) then engineering school was the course for me.

Although my 'bacon' is engineering/science career I still dabble in music with friends or the solo bit playing piano/guitar at restaurants, gatherings, etc. No money in doing so... just for my sense of enjoyment.

My wife plays violin, daughter plays piano, son was principal chair trombonist in several full scale orchestras and also plays the piano.

Anyone else sort of in these shoes and can relate?

Science news on Phys.org
I was originally a music/math major when entering university. I switched the music major to physics due to family pressure and I chose physics since the curriculum looked interesting. I played saxophone back then, but nowadays I play bass guitar and classical guitar. Usually classical guitar due to long fingernails. I also do visual art in several mediums: graphite and coloured pencil, pastel, etc. At the moment I really want to take classical guitar and art classes. My university offers classical guitar lessons open to any student, but the drawing and painting classes are only open to art majors. I have several books I've bought and checked out from the library to help me with my art and music. Wish I could spend more time on these things... :P

Likes infinitebubble
My Ph.D. supervisor has had a very successful career as theoretical physicist, and he also played trombone for years in his city's (pop. 200,000) symphony.

Last edited:
Likes infinitebubble
Mmm_Pasta said:
I was originally a music/math major when entering university. I switched the music major to physics due to family pressure and I chose physics since the curriculum looked interesting. I played saxophone back then, but nowadays I play bass guitar and classical guitar. Usually classical guitar due to long fingernails. I also do visual art in several mediums: graphite and coloured pencil, pastel, etc. At the moment I really want to take classical guitar and art classes. My university offers classical guitar lessons open to any student, but the drawing and painting classes are only open to art majors. I have several books I've bought and checked out from the library to help me with my art and music. Wish I could spend more time on these things... :P
Excellent and glad there is another classical guitarist in our forums... I'm privy to Issac Albeniz, Tarrega, Fernando Sor, and many of the Romantic classical music all written with such beautiful scales... I do not keep the fingernails long but add them later via nail extenders. Classical music for guitar is in it's low and not many care for it and it is a shame but at regular venues that play for free the crowds are gathered. Agree with the time not available to play and I now wished my career would have been music bound but not a music professor or high school music teacher... a full fledged musician at some symphony orchestra... but even they have daytime jobs or businesses.

1. Why did these musicians choose to pursue a career in science instead of music?

There could be a variety of reasons why a musician may have chosen to pursue a career in science. Some may have discovered a passion for science or a specific field within it, while others may have been influenced by family or educational opportunities. Additionally, some musicians may have found greater success or fulfillment in a scientific career.

2. Did these musicians have a background in science or education before transitioning to it as a career?

Many musicians who have pursued a career in science have a background in science or education prior to their transition. This could include a degree in a scientific field or previous work experience in a related industry. However, there are also cases where musicians have completely changed their career path and pursued science without prior experience or education.

3. How have these musicians balanced their musical talents with their scientific careers?

Balancing a musical career with a scientific one can be challenging but many musicians have found ways to do so successfully. Some may continue to perform or create music as a hobby or side project, while others may have found ways to incorporate their musical talents into their scientific work. Additionally, the discipline and creativity required in both fields can complement each other.

4. Have any of these musicians been able to merge their love for music and science together?

Yes, there are musicians who have been able to merge their love for music and science together. For example, some may use their scientific knowledge to create new musical instruments or technologies, while others may use their music to educate and inspire others about scientific concepts. There are also musicians who have composed music inspired by scientific discoveries or theories.

5. How have these musicians contributed to the scientific community?

Musicians who have pursued a career in science have made significant contributions to the scientific community. They bring a unique perspective and creativity to their work, and their music backgrounds may also give them a different approach to problem-solving. Additionally, many musicians use their platform and influence to raise awareness and support for various scientific causes and initiatives.