Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My boss got me another Honey Baked Ham Gift Certificate this year.

1. Dec 27, 2005 #1
    I actually got the ham this year, well only half a ham. Ready for the price tag? $59.42 Took a healthy chunk out of my $60 certificate. The ham has a hard crust around it, I guess it is caramel. It is spiral cut and the thing is DELICIOUS. Damn it's good. Why didn't anyone tell me about this stuff before. I'm gonna go get me another piece.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2005 #2
    screw the homeless

4. Dec 27, 2005 #3
    You know what this means? I've held a job for over a year straight. celebrate

5. Dec 27, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Can I have some please? I'm hungry. :frown:

All I have is a quarter of a loaf of 5 day old bread and some braunschweiger.

I'll trade. :uhh:

6. Dec 27, 2005 #5
    braunschweiger- what the hell is that?

7. Dec 27, 2005 #6

Evo

liver sausage. Actually more like a soft liver paste.

Want some? :uhh:

8. Dec 27, 2005 #7
    I'll pass on it

9. Dec 27, 2005 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

call it pate'. it sounds more delicious, and it probably has more brandy in it.

10. Dec 27, 2005 #9

Evo

Ah yes, it's all in the description. Some brandy would definitely make it more palatable. :approve:

11. Dec 27, 2005 #10
    The stores are open again you know. That was just for one day.

12. Dec 27, 2005 #11

Evo

It was, you're sure? <sniff> I can stop eating this now? :redface:

13. Dec 28, 2005 #12
    Last night I used Honey Baked Ham left overs in some fettucini alfredo. It was pretty good.

14. Dec 28, 2005 #13
    Where do you work?

15. Dec 28, 2005 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My girlfriend and I got a 9 1/2 lb Honey Baked Ham for about $40 around Thanksgiving time. I thought it was actually quite a deal. We ate it for more than a week.

- Warren

16. Dec 28, 2005 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aaaacckk! :yuck:

When I lived at home, we could buy our own lunch (if we had a job) or we could make braunschweiger sandwiches and take our lunch to school. We got $1.25 to supplement it, either way.

Suffice it to say that two things came of that:

1) We all got jobs in high school (I even had a paper route when I was in junior high)

2) The seven kids in our family wound up living in seven different states and none of them lingered about living at home as an adult.

17. Dec 28, 2005 #16

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

I picked up a ~12 pound smoked ham and roasted it myself. Basted with red wine, coke, soy sauce and maple syrup, then crusted it with brown mustard, brown sugar, rum and ginger snaps (modified Alton Brown recipe). All told it cost about $13 for the ham and $2.50 for the gingersnaps, everything else was lying around the kitchen. Plus I've got a nice bone for split pea soup, heck of a deal.

18. Dec 28, 2005 #17
    :bugeye: I've gotta try that some time!

19. Dec 28, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder why Honey Baked Ham is so expensive where you are? I thought of you a few days ago when I heard they were having a special at the Honey Baked Ham near here...a whole meal...the ham plus side dishes...for $40. They didn't say how many servings though. :uhh:

I suppose that crispy outside is...honey. :biggrin:

I'm not fond of sweet ham, so would probably go more for something like DocToxyn's recipe, minus the maple syrup and ginger snaps.

20. Dec 28, 2005 #19

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

AKA liverworst, I always wondered how or why someone would eat something that claimed to be worst?? :surprised

21. Dec 28, 2005 #20

Evo

Wurst is good. :wink: with enough brandy *hic* :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?