My Cat's Grumpy Refusal to Speak English!

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, my cat seems to have a grumpy attitude towards speaking English. Despite my efforts to teach her, she refuses to utter a single word in the language. It has become a source of frustration and amusement for me, but I have come to accept that my feline companion has no interest in learning human language. Though she may not speak English, she still communicates with me in her own ways, and our bond remains strong.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My cat won't speak English!
like these...
[MEDIA=youtube]GVzJj9Bio5g[/MEDIA][/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, talking cats! :!)

Edit: :smile::smile: :smile:

my cat thinks meow is like aloha. It could mean a lot of things.

That was cool, I had to book note it so I could replay it, all the live long day!

hypatia said:
.. all the live long day!
ha ha ha :smile:

My cat meows a lot but she expects me to learn her language :rolleyes:

Math Is Hard said:
my cat thinks meow is like aloha. It could mean a lot of things.
I'm sure that you already know this, but I just wanted to add that with cat talk...it's not what you say, but meow you say it that counts.

Kurdt said:
My cat meows a lot but she expects me to learn her language :rolleyes:
She must consider you a very advanced student. I have only been taught the "tail codes", and it took me over 30 years to learn the basics.

I'm sure that you already know this, but I just wanted to add that with cat talk...it's not what you say, but meow you say it that counts.
So very true! :approve:

A common misunderstanding, cats aren't saying 'meow', they're saying 'now?'

Math Is Hard said:
My cat won't speak English!
like these...
[MEDIA=youtube]GVzJj9Bio5g[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]
:smile: :smile: :smile: GREAT !

This one is nice as well :
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]Gd0XSR9N-7k[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

marlon

or this one :

[MEDIA=youtube]FawkvxwaOHg[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

marlon

DaveC426913 said:
I'm sure of it. Especially when they are waiting for you to change the litter box.

Marlon, those kitties look quite unhappy! Especially that last one :eek:

DaveC426913 said:

For some reason that reminds me of the seagulls in Finding Nemo...http://www.reelwavs.com/movies/finding_nemo/mine1.wav"

One of my kitties says "Me! Me! Me!"

larkspur said:
For some reason that reminds me of the seagulls in Finding Nemo...http://www.reelwavs.com/movies/finding_nemo/mine1.wav"

One of my kitties says "Me! Me! Me!"
Oh, I loved those seagulls! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! :smile:

Last edited:

Related to My Cat's Grumpy Refusal to Speak English!

1. Why is my cat refusing to speak English?

It is important to remember that cats are not capable of speaking any language, including English. They communicate through body language, vocalizations, and other non-verbal cues. Your cat may be displaying grumpy behavior for a variety of reasons, such as feeling stressed or uncomfortable in their environment.

2. Can I train my cat to speak English?

No, it is not possible to train a cat to speak any language. Cats do not have the physical ability to form words with their vocal cords and tongue like humans do. However, you can train your cat to understand certain words or commands through positive reinforcement and repetition.

3. Why do some people claim their cats can understand and respond to English words?

While it may seem like some cats understand English, it is more likely that they are responding to the tone and body language of their owner. Cats are very observant and can pick up on cues from their human's behavior. They may also associate certain words with specific actions or behaviors, such as "treat" or "playtime".

4. Is my cat capable of learning any language?

No, cats do not possess the cognitive abilities to learn and understand complex language systems like humans do. They may be able to pick up on certain words or phrases, but they do not have the same linguistic capabilities as humans.

5. Could my cat be refusing to speak English because they are mad at me?

No, your cat's refusal to speak English is not a sign of anger or resentment towards you. Cats do not hold grudges like humans do. If your cat is displaying grumpy behavior, it is likely due to some other underlying reason, such as feeling scared or anxious.