N-body simulation of high or low-mass dark matter particles

• I
  • Thread starter Ranku
  • Start date
Do we notice any significant difference in distribution and dynamics of dark matter in galaxies when n-body simulations are done with high or low-mass dark matter particles?

Answers and Replies

phyzguy
Science Advisor
What do you mean by high or low mass? If you are thinking of resolving the mass of the DM particles this way, you need to know that the resolution of the simulations is nowhere near the level of being able to do this. I think the highest resolution n-body simulations have particle masses on the order of 10^4 to 10^5 Msun.

Likes Vanadium 50
What do you mean by high or low mass? If you are thinking of resolving the mass of the DM particles this way, you need to know that the resolution of the simulations is nowhere near the level of being able to do this. I think the highest resolution n-body simulations have particle masses on the order of 10^4 to 10^5 Msun.
I didn't know that the mass resolution is that low. Is it a computational limit, and therefore can improve?

phyzguy
Science Advisor
Yes it is a computational limit. But 10^5 Msun is at least 50 orders of magnitude greater than a presumed DM particle, so don't hold you breath. Unless of course DM is primordial black holes...