1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of this instrument? similar to vernier calliper

  1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    I used this instrument to measure the length of a slit.

    It was similar to vernier calliper but it looks like a microscope and had movable small magnifying glass to determine the line that perfectly matches up with the measured value.

    It measured to hundreth of a millimeter...

    does anyone know what this is called?

    It looked quite antique old fashioned looking, by the way.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    micrometer screw gauge
  4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    um it looks like a microscope, not micrometer
  5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    I think it is a "travelling microscope"
    The small magnifier is for reading the vernier scale.
  6. Mar 27, 2012 #5
    yep thats the one thank you so much ;)
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook