Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nameless white mooselet seeks desperately after dead mum

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

We are in the midst of a major moose event here in Norway;
    a tiny, white mooselet has been discovered, who is all alone after his mum was killed by a reckless car driver at Trysil.
    He (or she) is, every day, returning to the spot where his mum died, seeking her warmth and sagacity.
    Hopefully, he will manage on his own through the winter, but we are in the midst of a name election campaign, which is the least we can do for him:
    http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10078588

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Poor baby mooselet!!! So sad. It's the cutest thing!!! :!!) Are they feeding the mooselet?

I think it should be named after Albin.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    Calf, perhaps?

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Too cute!!!!!
    How about Cutelet? Or is that that too close to cutlet?

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5
    I picked Hvittney Houston as it seems so completely wrong.

7. Feb 23, 2012 #6
    Crisis? I love veal! White meat anyone? I suggest feeding it lots of corn and maybe a little beer for the next couple weeks and then eating it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  8. Feb 23, 2012 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I liked Albus as a name (I assume that stem means vote?) Poor little guy might be too young to make it without a momma. :frown:

9. Feb 23, 2012 #8

Evo

Arildno are there any plans to take it in and care for it through the winter?

10. Feb 23, 2012 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Poor little thing :frown:

Reminds me of hap... No, I won't say it, it's to sad.

11. Feb 23, 2012 #10

Evo

Micro, go rescue it!

12. Feb 23, 2012 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I want to :frown:

13. Feb 23, 2012 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Not that I have seen.
    Moose live mostly off branch-tips from trees during the winter, rather than digging for hidden treasure beneath the snow layer.
    Thus, the mooselet probably has learnt the correct survival techniques already, and compassionate inteference from humans may reduce his ability to fend for himself.
    Fortunately, a moose calf is so big that it has no natural predators in today's Norway; there are so few wolves left so these can be discounted as a danger he ought to avoid.
    Personally, I think the most critical time for him will come in early spring when his mother would teach him what new plants he ought to eat, and which he should avoid.

14. Feb 23, 2012 #13

Evo

Can't we get him training? I vote for dressing micro in a mama moose suit. SAVE THE MEESE!!!

15. Feb 23, 2012 #14
    This is a sad story indeed. While teenage pregnancy is rampant in the US, female moose in Belgium, or what ever that country is that uses those funny letters, are having children as young as two years old. I want to know, we all need to know, where is the father and will he take responsibility?

16. Feb 23, 2012 #15
    Apparently he is famous:

http://www.media-freaks.com/work/leilei/bullwinkle/bullwinkle-01.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  17. Feb 23, 2012 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Micro is welcome. provided he pays for his own mama moose suit.

18. Feb 23, 2012 #17

turbo

Gold Member

My wife would volunteer as a rescuer! She has a full-time job, but if someone would ship the mooselet to us, she and I would be foster-parents. Also, Duke loves everybody and every other critter. Albins would have a full-time companion.

19. Feb 23, 2012 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

20. Feb 23, 2012 #19
    I just want to make sure... are people using the term mooselet because there is some "meme" quality to it?

21. Feb 23, 2012 #20

turbo

Gold Member

We have a lot of people here who may not even be native English-speakers, and "-let" is quite acceptable (if not always grammatical) as a modification designating a diminutive form of the word being modified. I would have a tough time with "chicklets", though. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook