Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Gas cost by winter to triple?

1. Jul 15, 2008 #1
    "Today in talking to the gas company - I was told they are thinking the price of Natural Gas may reach $3.00 a therm by this winter.

The current price is $1.45 a therm, on my last bill it was $1.24. Remember a winter ago people where upset at $1.10 a therm.

That means bills that may be typically $200.00 to $300,00 in January may approach a $1,000 for one month of gas use. "

http://evanstonnow.com/government/j...s-cost-by-winter-to-triple-3-00-per-therm-and

my, my----

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2008 #2
    Does that mean alternative energies research would receive more funding and focus?
    So, a innovative solution to our all energy problems is near?

4. Jul 15, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Just burn tires rew. Recycling is good, right? :uhh:

5. Jul 15, 2008 #4
    I had heard anything about natural gas for this coming winter---probably due to gasoline, oil, housing mortgage problems, Iraq, etc.-----I just got my natural gas bill, and went--"WTF?!!!"---for a summer month, it's about double what it was about two years ago,-and then started thinking about the upcoming winter.

(yep---saving all the tires, plastic bottles, and junk mail for the grill in the living room this winter--just to the left of the TV)

6. Jul 15, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I'm glad we heat with wood. I paid $800 for 5 cords (more than enough for the winter). A co-worker of my wife just paid over $700 to get her heating oil tank topped off and is looking at maybe $3000-4000 to heat her place this winter. Some people have switched over to wood pellet stoves. Stupid move, because once people get locked into these stoves, the price of the pellets will track the price of gas and oil. If the economy collapses, this county is full of rednecks with chain saws that will gladly deliver firewood cheap for cash.

7. Jul 15, 2008 #6
    "this county is full of rednecks "

I think they spilled over to my neck of the woods too

8. Jul 15, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Since natural gas is not a product of oil, I find it very unlikely that natural gas prices will double this year. Propane(which is derived from oil), on the other hand, has been skyrocketing.

9. Jul 15, 2008 #8
    betcha a nickel that it goes up by at least 25 or 30%

10. Jul 15, 2008 #9

Evo

I thought natural gas came out of oil wells? But it doesn't have to be refined the way crude does.

Also, with the new more difficult measures to remove and refine deeper gulf oil and shale oil, will it effect natural gas any?

Alos, how is the production of petroleum jelley going to be affected?

11. Jul 15, 2008 #10
    its all 'energy' and energy stocks, natural gas included---except for grape

12. Jul 16, 2008 #11
    As for the price of natural gas; anything that can be affected by speculation is probably going to be affected by speculation.

Natural gas is a commodity included in the Enron loophole.

13. Jul 16, 2008 #12

russ_watters

No bet - I think 25% is a realistic possibility.

14. Jul 16, 2008 #13

russ_watters

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?