Need Advice: Should I Stay in Physics or Switch Majors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LonePhysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
LonePhysicist
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Currently I am an Undergrad Physics major. I am suppose to start research next semester in order to prepare me for graduate school and get a PhD. While this has been easy for some my current physics class has driven me into the ground and the hardness of it is making me dislike physics completely. I personally think it is because the class is so difficult and demanding (20+ hrs a week), but the class is also making me feel extremely dumb and depressed about myself. As of now I do not however want to keep going on like I currently am and am unsure of what to do (the professor makes it intentionally hard and over half the class has already dropped).

Additionally, I have had a long desire to work at a company such as Intel and build computer hardware such as processors and CPU. I do not feel as though this is the only job I would like to do because I am probably going to want to switch and work as a software developer and maybe some form of a researcher and other things as well.

If I switch majors now then I will not graduate on time and probably be spending 5 years at my university. I do not have this as an option because I do not want to occur any more debt then I currently have. Another option I have considered is finishing out a degree in physics and while researching in computer science and electrical engineering area since a lot of what my university has to offer interest me, but since research is very major based I do not feel as this will be an option. Finally, getting internships in computer science seem impossible for me to get given not being a major in the area and not having similar experience to my peers currently even with an abundant supply available.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LonePhysicist said:
Additionally, I have had a long desire to work at a company such as Intel and build computer hardware such as processors and CPU.
Then so contact those companies and tell them about your enthusiasm!
 
rootone said:
Then so contact those companies and tell them about your enthusiasm!

I do not have a degree yet and that is one of the requirements for even which would be in physics or one of the related engineering disciplines. I am not looking to get a job currently I am looking to figure out my life at this moment., am just unsure of what to do realistically. Unless if I am missing something please explain because maybe I am not seeing your point as well.
 
Probably best to just concentrate on getting a basic qualification then for now.
My own experience is that 'getting personal' about what some company does is good for employment prospects.
A company is after all a group of people with a shared objective.
 
LonePhysicist said:
Additionally, I have had a long desire to work at a company such as Intel and build computer hardware such as processors and CPU. I do not feel as though this is the only job I would like to do because I am probably going to want to switch and work as a software developer and maybe some form of a researcher and other things as well.

If I switch majors now then I will not graduate on time and probably be spending 5 years at my university.
It sounds like computer engineering is the right major for you. If you're in the US, five years to complete an engineering degree is common.