Need an advice to create a paper folder for winding insulation

• Thread starter BlackMelon
  • Start date
BlackMelon
Hello,

I usually wind induction motors. I found folding their insulation papers are so boring to me. So, I would like to make a machine that eases my job. Please see the attached file. The paper's dimension would be something like 80cm x 120cm. This machine must be able to fold the yellow areas onto the white area. The width of each yellow area can be at maximum of 10 cm.

Could you please give me suggestions of what parts on the markets I should look for? It doesn't have to be fancy. It could be operated by hands instead of motors.

Thank you
BlackMelon

Attachments

• 60cm60cm.png
    60cm60cm.png
    645 bytes · Views: 69

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
If what you're looking for is a way to make paper folds automatically, maybe you can get inspired from the Paper Airplane Machine Gun (lots of links out there).

It may give some ideas about how you can do some highspeed automated folding with cheap parts buildable in your play room.

jrmichler
Mentor
I spent a summer working in an electric motor rebuild shop a long time ago. I sort of kinda recall that they had a slot insulation creaser that worked like this sketch:
Creaser.jpg

A rubber faced bottom roller is about 2" diameter. The top shaft has a pair of steel creasing wheels about the same diameter. The creasing wheels are pressed into the rubber enough to get the desired amount of crease. The creasing wheels are not sharp like a knife, the tips have a radius on the order of 0.1 to 0.2 mm. I do not remember if the two rolls are geared together, or if one is driven while the other is driven by friction. Paper side guides are not shown.

Likes BlackMelon and Lnewqban
BlackMelon
Thank you guys for your ideas. These are very helpful! I will build the machine based on the three version of you guys. When I finish building the machine, I will let you know. :)

Likes Lnewqban and Tom.G

Suggested for: Need an advice to create a paper folder for winding insulation

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies