1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need emergency advice for statement of purpose

1. Dec 17, 2014 #1
    For my application for a PhD program in physics they requested a statement of purpose of no more then two pages. My application is due tomorrow and my statement of purpose is 2.5 page in Microsoft office and 2.2 pages in open office. Will I lost a lot of points with the admission committee because my statement of purpose is slightly longer then two pages?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2
    I got it to 2.2 pages on Microsoft word.

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3
    Yes it won't look good to them that you have more than 2 pages. Shorten it up even more!

5. Dec 17, 2014 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It shouldn't take you more than 2 pages to tell someone why you want to attend their program.

If you can't conform to that request, there's a risk (although small) that your application won't even make it through the faculty of graduate studies QA review. Alternatively, it might get cut off at two pages. Alternatively, if you're applying to a department that has a lot of applications, the people on the admissions committee may not bother with reading the whole thing.

6. Dec 17, 2014 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What does 2.2 pages mean? It means you can't follow directions. Not what you want.

7. Dec 17, 2014 #6
    It means 2 pages plus 2 extra lines 2.2 pages. I guess it's more like 2.1 or 2.05 pages.

8. Dec 17, 2014 #7
    I think Vanadium's question was rhetorical. Either way you are over their requested limit by 2 lines. You should limit it to 2 pages.

9. Dec 17, 2014 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Right. It's rhetorical, and it sends the wrong message.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook