Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help designing rear seat braces

1. May 5, 2006 #1
    I have a Buick Grand National. There is a company that sells a kit that consist of 4 bars connected in the back seat area of my car. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/BrockBlackZ/braces1.jpgThese are hollow cylindrical bars ~3/4''I also so this one in which the guy made his own except out of flat bars instead of round ones http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/BrockBlackZ/Rearseatbraces1.jpg. I wanted to get your opinions on what you think would be better for rigidity (round hollow or flat bars)and also does this design look good? or could it be improved? Everybody that has one of these says they notice the car is much stiffer and handles better. Just one of those things that I have been thinking about during classes.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Man... I've gone through a lot of car mods and I've never seen that one before. Why not install a roll cage instead? It wouldn't be too much more work, and it could save your life as well as stiffen up the ride.
    To answer your question, though, most structural members are tubular because they're a lot stronger than rods or the straps that you show. The flat or solid ones are fine for tensile loading (stretch), but useless for resistance to bending. If you reinforce them enough, they'd probably work for what you want, but the tubes would be guaranteed to.
    I'd still weld or bolt 2 or 3 inch steel tubing to the frame and run it inside the perimeter of the body instead, though.

4. May 5, 2006 #3
    Well they did include this on the high performance GNX... The roll cage would require ALOT more work where as you just have to cut 4 pieces of tubing and bolt them in (holes already exsist). I was just wondering which type of shape was stronger

5. May 5, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Okay. In that case, use the tubing. If bending is required, use a mandrel or at least fill the thing with sand before bending. That minimizes any 'crinkling' that would weaken it. If you want the ends flattened as in the picture, keep that section as short as you can. It's also a good idea to put washers under both the bolt head and the nut to distribute stress better. Good luck with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?