Need help designing rear seat braces

• Thread starter usfz28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Designing
In summary, the company sells a kit that consists of 4 bars connected in the back seat area of the car. Most people think that this design is better because it is much stiffer and handles better.
usfz28
I have a Buick Grand National. There is a company that sells a kit that consist of 4 bars connected in the back seat area of my car. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/BrockBlackZ/braces1.jpg" . I wanted to get your opinions on what you think would be better for rigidity (round hollow or flat bars)and also does this design look good? or could it be improved? Everybody that has one of these says they notice the car is much stiffer and handles better. Just one of those things that I have been thinking about during classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Man... I've gone through a lot of car mods and I've never seen that one before. Why not install a roll cage instead? It wouldn't be too much more work, and it could save your life as well as stiffen up the ride.
To answer your question, though, most structural members are tubular because they're a lot stronger than rods or the straps that you show. The flat or solid ones are fine for tensile loading (stretch), but useless for resistance to bending. If you reinforce them enough, they'd probably work for what you want, but the tubes would be guaranteed to.
I'd still weld or bolt 2 or 3 inch steel tubing to the frame and run it inside the perimeter of the body instead, though.

Well they did include this on the high performance GNX... The roll cage would require ALOT more work where as you just have to cut 4 pieces of tubing and bolt them in (holes already exsist). I was just wondering which type of shape was stronger

Okay. In that case, use the tubing. If bending is required, use a mandrel or at least fill the thing with sand before bending. That minimizes any 'crinkling' that would weaken it. If you want the ends flattened as in the picture, keep that section as short as you can. It's also a good idea to put washers under both the bolt head and the nut to distribute stress better. Good luck with it.

1. What are rear seat braces and why are they needed?

Rear seat braces are metal or plastic structures that are installed in the backseat of a vehicle. They are used to reinforce the seat and provide additional support, especially in case of a rear-end collision. They help prevent the seat from collapsing and provide better protection for passengers.

2. How do I know if I need rear seat braces for my car?

If your car has a rear seat that is not fully supported by the frame of the vehicle, or if you plan on installing a rear-facing car seat for a child, then you may need rear seat braces. These braces are commonly used in older vehicles or vehicles with a weaker frame.

3. What materials are rear seat braces made of?

Rear seat braces can be made of various materials such as steel, aluminum, or high-strength plastic. The material used will depend on the manufacturer and the specific design of the brace. However, the most important factor is that the material is strong enough to provide support and reinforcement to the seat.

4. Can I install rear seat braces myself or do I need a professional?

It is recommended to have a professional install rear seat braces to ensure they are properly installed and provide the necessary support. However, if you have experience with car modifications and have the proper tools, you may be able to install them yourself. Be sure to carefully follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

5. Are there any downsides to installing rear seat braces?

One potential downside to installing rear seat braces is that they may reduce the amount of legroom for passengers in the backseat. Additionally, they may add extra weight to the vehicle. However, the safety benefits of having reinforced rear seats outweigh these potential downsides.

Back