Need some advice about transfering

• Thread starter opengfrt
  • Start date
In summary: With only 1 year of college under your belt, I suggest you really talk to the professor and try to get an A in that class. One withdrawal probably won't look that bad if you immediately follow it up with an A. BUT, the people reading your transcript are not stupid, and they know how to spot people picking and choosing professors.
opengfrt
Is it better to withdraw a class than to pass a class with a B, if you want to transfer to UC Berkeley, and that particular course is like your major?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your current school? Why would you want to transfer to UCB so bad? I don't think its going to matter if you pass a class with a 'B' if your GPA is up there AND you have good recommendations/SAT scores/application/what not.

There is not enough info to answer this question.

no no, you got it wrong, I'm at a CC right now and want to apply for Berkeley, so I'm just wondering if getting a B is better than withdrawal in Physics, if my major is Engineering

Actually no, I didn't get it wrong. You did. This question doesn't make sense.

And yes, it depends on a lot of different things, i.e, you may have absolutely no chance at getting into Berk, or you might have a very good chance. However, if that was the case, why would you be wondering about 1 random class?

Well, because, Berkeley is a pretty good school for engineering in my state, and if you want to suggest some college that is known for their engineering program that would be great!

But this is like my first year in CC, and I'm trying to maintain a 4.00 GPA, and besides, i believe i know the subject really well, and its really frustrating when you see you fail your first exam just because you did not answer the way he want, even though that 5 out of the 6 answers are completely correct, and if 4/5 of the class is failing the exam and he refuses to curve the grade, i really don't know how else I'm going to success in that class.

So i want to know does one or two withdrawal looks really bad on my transcript if i don't have a legitimate excuse for withdrawal compare to a B or C?

No, people withdraw for many reasons. High GPA and completion of major pre-reqs are the main factors in admission when transferring from CCC to UC's.

Last edited:
Ok, so how many hours do you have? Do you have really good recommendations? And did you try to apply to Berkeley right out of high school?

Unfortunately, there is no area on the transcript where you can explain why you withdrew.

Your high GPA will only help if you have a decent amount of hours behind it. So if its your first year, I suggest you really talk to the professor and try to get an A in that class. One withdrawal probably won't look that bad if you immediately follow it up with an A. BUT, the people reading your transcript are not stupid, and they know how to spot people picking and choosing professors.

You say 1 or 2 withdrawals, is there another class you are needing to drop? If you need to drop more than one class, then you might want to figure out first why you are not performing up to your standards, before you start applying.

Considering withdrawal from intro physics, because you're going to get a B instead of an A? Seriously? Does this sound completely insane to anyone else?

Dude, just learn the material and get that B. You're not going to have a 4.0 GPA. Welcome to the club. You should still be able to xfer, I would think. Seriously, you think they only take students with a 4.0? Please.

opengfrt said:
But this is like my first year in CC, and I'm trying to maintain a 4.00 GPA, and besides, i believe i know the subject really well, and its really frustrating when you see you fail your first exam just because you did not answer the way he want, even though that 5 out of the 6 answers are completely correct, and if 4/5 of the class is failing the exam and he refuses to curve the grade, i really don't know how else I'm going to success in that class.

Welcome to college. This will not be the last time. Not for nothing, but if you got the problem wrong, you did not have it completely right. You may think you did, but if you can get over your indignation at the grade, and really look and see why the professor did what he did, well, not only will you have a better chance in getting through that class, but you might learn a valuable lesson in the process.

Good luck!

whs said:
Ok, so how many hours do you have? Do you have really good recommendations? And did you try to apply to Berkeley right out of high school?

Unfortunately, there is no area on the transcript where you can explain why you withdrew.

Your high GPA will only help if you have a decent amount of hours behind it. So if its your first year, I suggest you really talk to the professor and try to get an A in that class. One withdrawal probably won't look that bad if you immediately follow it up with an A. BUT, the people reading your transcript are not stupid, and they know how to spot people picking and choosing professors.

You say 1 or 2 withdrawals, is there another class you are needing to drop? If you need to drop more than one class, then you might want to figure out first why you are not performing up to your standards, before you start applying.

I apply Berkeley, UCLA, UCI and UCSD and only got into SD and UCI. I did not want to go to UCSD because most of my friends got accepted to Berkeley, so i went to a CC.

I have 11 credits so far

No, fortunately that is the only class i need to drop, i just ask that in case there is a future class that i need to drop in the future. Other classes are solid A's.

So the people that read my transcript will know i change professors or they are just assuming i change professors.

dotman said:
Considering withdrawal from intro physics, because you're going to get a B instead of an A? Seriously? Does this sound completely insane to anyone else?

Dude, just learn the material and get that B. You're not going to have a 4.0 GPA. Welcome to the club. You should still be able to xfer, I would think. Seriously, you think they only take students with a 4.0? Please.
Welcome to college. This will not be the last time. Not for nothing, but if you got the problem wrong, you did not have it completely right. You may think you did, but if you can get over your indignation at the grade, and really look and see why the professor did what he did, well, not only will you have a better chance in getting through that class, but you might learn a valuable lesson in the process.

Good luck!
I know this sounds really insane, but 5 people already drop the class for the same reason, and in fact i did talk to the professor but its really frustrated when the professor refuse to change the exam score even if i prove that my answer and work correspond to his answer but just different by method. And to obtain a B is if i get above 95% on all the test and quizzes so according to his grading method I'm more likely to get a C. And besides i know i know the subject really well, i pass the AP physics B exam and study C Mechanics by my self i have no reason to get a 45% on the exam just because my works is not sufficient in his view, even though 5 out of 6 questions are completely correct in terms of answer.

Lastly I'm really confuse by the admission standards, people say that you have to get a 4.0 GPA to be accepted as a transfer to Berkeley, and Georgia tech. And rumors about 90% of the student in CC never get to transfer to UC or any other good colleges really frightens me. So if this is wrong please give me some more info on the admission standards to college that has strong engineering programs.

And this is what i heard what you have to do to be able to transfer3.9 ~4.0 GPA

Club officers (related to your major)

Internship or research program in the summer(related to your major)

Good professors recommendation

Good essay
I don't know any prominent professors, and i had search research program since this spring, so i figure out i should at least have a 4.0 GPA.Please correct me if my info is wrong

To sum things up, this withdrawal problem you seem to be having is not going to hold you back from Berkeley, or tip the scales in your direction.

And what are you going to do if you actually get in, if your worried about this problem, just wait until your brain gets fried from other non-issues. It sounds like you don't know what you want, just like every other freshman in college.

Are you a California resident? It definitely makes a difference whether you are transferring from a CCC (california community college) vs. OOS. Because you're question specifically deals with transferring to the UC's,you should check out the college confidential UC forum

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/uc-transfers/

What is the process for transferring to a new university?

The process for transferring to a new university can vary depending on the specific institution. Generally, you will need to first research and choose the university you would like to transfer to and then follow their specific transfer application process. This may involve submitting transcripts, test scores, and other supporting documents. It is important to communicate with both your current and prospective universities to ensure a smooth transfer process.

How do I know if my credits will transfer to the new university?

It is important to research and communicate with both your current and prospective universities to determine if your credits will transfer. Each university has its own transfer credit policies and may evaluate credits differently. You may also need to submit course descriptions or syllabi for evaluation. Keep in mind that not all credits may transfer, but it is always worth checking with the university before making a decision.

What are the potential benefits of transferring to a new university?

Transferring to a new university can offer many potential benefits, such as a change in location, access to different academic programs or resources, and the opportunity to meet new people and expand your network. It can also provide a fresh start or new challenges and opportunities for personal and academic growth.

Is it possible to transfer mid-semester?

While it is possible to transfer mid-semester, it may not always be the best option. Transferring mid-semester can be more complicated and may require you to catch up on missed coursework. It is important to carefully consider the timing of your transfer and speak with your academic advisor or transfer office for guidance.

Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for transfer students?

Yes, there are often scholarships and financial aid opportunities available specifically for transfer students. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities as early as possible, as they may have specific deadlines and requirements. Additionally, you may also qualify for general scholarships and financial aid offered by the university or outside organizations.