Need some advice about grad school applications

In summary, a student is considering switching majors to statistics, but is worried about not being able to get good grades in math due to previous failures. They need to talk to an academic advisor and consider other options, like taking time off.
AbstractlyAlgebraic
Hi,

I'm currently a math major, but I'm realizing it's probably not for me. Last semester I didn't get credit for either of my math classes (I got an A- in all my other classes though), so I'm at a loss as to do what to do right now.

I'm concurrently minoring in statistics, and I always do fine in those, so I'm thinking about just applying to grad schools in statistics. Are my not-so-great math grades going to screw me over? (In particular, I got a D in Real Analysis and a C- in Complex Analysis when I had never even made a C before in my life)
It's hard, because I started off college with straight A's, I was on the dean's list, and I was in the top 15% of my class, but my current status doesn't reflect that.

My grades were low because I was depressed (I had legitimate reasons, but I'd rather not go into it right now). I don't know what to do, honestly. My GPA isn't horrible (3.46), but I really don't want to retake those classes, but I know that stat grad schools value my math classes.

I also don't even know who to ask for recommendations from. The people I want recommendations from are postdocs/professors that have left the institution, and I've taken the real analysis prof. 3 times, I did fine in the other two classes, but I got reamed this time around. In theory, he should vouch for me as a student, but I don't have a feeling that he's on my side. I told him that I wanted to go to graduate school in math, but I don't think that's really a good idea at this point.

What advice can you give a student like me?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to talk to an academic advisor and broaden your thinking about what you want to do. Maybe taking time off is a,good option. Maybe looking into computer science is another.

It’s important that you find the exact reason that you suddenly failed these couple of courses. Is it lack of knowledge, lack of desire, or is it something that you’re just not interested in?

All of us go through this crisis and eventually come out okay. You must realistically evaluate why you had problems and what’s the best course of action. An academic advisor should be able to help here.

Also don’t discount the one Prof because you did poorly in his/her course but did fine in others. He/she too may be wondering what happened and may even have some insight for you if you speak to him/her about it. Later you can decide whether to ask the prof for a letter of recommendation.

So much of the world is about connecting with people. Students don’t seem to get this and have an us versus them attitude or that profs are out to get them when in fact they’ve not been too friendly with the prof to begin with. Many students ask for stuff but seldom return the favor to a prof too.

Last edited:
Likes StoneTemplePython and Delta2
Though you saying you don't want to retake Real Analysis or Complex Analysis, I would strongly recommend to retake at least one of them and try to take a better grade, at the end if you succeed that will boost your confidence and happiness , it will make you believe that you can emerge as winner at the very end. But in order for this to happen you must have a fighter spirit in you, the will to fight and change the course of events.

I am just saying this cause I had a similar problem in my undergrad studies 20 years ago. I had score 5/10 in two basic courses (calculus 2 and discrete math). I decided to retake Calculus 2 and I got 10/10 at the end and then retook Discrete math as well and manage to get a 8/10.

Likes StoneTemplePython

What are the most important factors to consider when applying to graduate school?

The most important factors to consider when applying to graduate school are your academic qualifications (GPA, standardized test scores), relevant work or research experience, letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. It is also important to research the programs and faculty at each school to find the best fit for your interests and goals.

When should I start preparing for graduate school applications?

It is recommended to start preparing for graduate school applications at least a year in advance. This will give you enough time to research programs, study for standardized tests, gather materials, and reach out to potential recommenders. Starting early will also allow you to meet application deadlines and potentially improve your qualifications before submitting.

Do I need to have a specific major to apply for graduate school?

No, you do not need to have a specific major to apply for graduate school. Many programs accept students from a variety of undergraduate backgrounds. However, it is important to have relevant coursework or experience in the field you wish to pursue in graduate school.

What can I do to make my grad school application stand out?

In addition to having strong academic qualifications, you can make your grad school application stand out by showcasing your unique experiences and skills. This can include research projects, internships, leadership roles, or community service. It is also important to tailor your personal statement and application materials to each school and program you are applying to.

Is it necessary to have a high GPA to get into graduate school?

While a high GPA can certainly strengthen your graduate school application, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your overall application, including test scores, experience, and personal statement, is also important. Some programs may also weigh certain factors more heavily than others, so it is best to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in.