New Nature Paper: Old Ia Supernovae different?

In summary, a study published on arXiv.org claims to have found a new type of supernova, the super-Chandrasekhar Ia supernova, which may have implications for cosmology due to its brightness. This new type can be identified spectroscopically and cannot be explained by the normal mechanism of white dwarf accreting from a companion red giant. One possible explanation is that it is the result of two white dwarfs colliding, while another possibility is that the white dwarf had considerable angular velocity.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0609616" claims that a super-Chandrasekhar Ia supernova has been found, and that "Super-Chandrasekhar mass SNe Ia should preferentially occur in a young stellar population."

This, obviously, could have implications for cosmology. These "new" supernovae can be identified spectroscopically, so such supernovae data can be checked for this new type.

My guess is that isn't going to be enough to make a cosmological constant/dark energy go away.

Edit: I meant to start this thread in the Astrophysics Forum, but I guees it's OK here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Apparently new type Ia are two times brighter than previously thought so cosmological distances that are based on typeIa novae may need to be reevaluated.

This new SNIa is unsual and cannot be explained by the normal mechanism, i.e. white dwarf accreting from a companion red giant. One possible explanation for this case is two white dwarfs colliding.

another explanation that i read was that the white dwarf could have had considerable angular velocity.

mathman said:
One possible explanation for this case is two white dwarfs colliding.

sdemjanenko said:
another explanation that i read was that the white dwarf could have had considerable angular velocity.

Yesterday I heard an http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/media/2006-2007/mp3/qq-2006-09-23b.mp3" with one of the authors, and he mentioned both effects.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of this new nature paper?

This new nature paper presents groundbreaking research on the differences between old Ia supernovae, which are a type of exploding star, and can provide valuable insights into the evolution of the universe.

2. How were old Ia supernovae studied in this paper?

The researchers used data from the Hubble Space Telescope and the European Southern Observatory to study the light emitted from old Ia supernovae and analyze their properties.

3. What are the main findings of this paper?

The main findings of this paper include the discovery of a new subclass of old Ia supernovae, the identification of key differences in their light curves and spectra, and the suggestion that these differences are due to varying explosion mechanisms.

4. How does this paper contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By shedding light on the differences between old Ia supernovae, this paper provides important insights into the processes and mechanisms involved in the evolution of the universe. It also raises new questions for further research in this field.

5. What are the potential implications of this research?

The findings of this paper could have implications for our understanding of the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the origins of elements in the universe. It could also have implications for future studies of supernovae and their use as cosmological distance indicators.