Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Nature Paper: Old Ia Supernovae different?

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A new Nature paper claims that a super-Chandrasekhar Ia supernova has been found, and that "Super-Chandrasekhar mass SNe Ia should preferentially occur in a young stellar population."

This, obviously, could have implications for cosmology. These "new" supernovae can be identified spectroscopically, so such supernovae data can be checked for this new type.

My guess is that isn't going to be enough to make a cosmological constant/dark energy go away.

Edit: I meant to start this thread in the Astrophysics Forum, but I guees it's OK here.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2
    Apparently new type Ia are two times brighter than previously thought so cosmological distances that are based on typeIa novae may need to be reevaluated.

4. Sep 24, 2006 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This new SNIa is unsual and cannot be explained by the normal mechanism, i.e. white dwarf accreting from a companion red giant. One possible explanation for this case is two white dwarfs colliding.

5. Sep 24, 2006 #4
    another explanation that i read was that the white dwarf could have had considerable angular velocity.

6. Sep 24, 2006 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yesterday I heard an interview with one of the authors, and he mentioned both effects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?