Next number in the series 2, 3, 4, 9, 6, 12, 8, 15, 16, 18

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Loren Booda
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
4
What is the next number in the following series?

2, 3, 4, 9, 6, 12, 8, 15, 16, 18, 12, 28, 14, 24, 24, 25...

(and can you prove that there would be an infinite number of contiguous pairs thereabouts?:eek:)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm an undergrad in EE, so I'm not much on number theory. School is starting back up so I thought I'd take a try to get my brain back in the swing of things. I thought of it as a bunch of ramp signals... I know I'm not right, but is this even in the right direction?

I got 4 signals

[;y_1(n) = 2 + n;]
[;y_2(n) = \frac{9}{2} + \frac{3*n}{2};]
[;y_3(n) = -16+4*n;]
[;y_4(n) = 10+n;]

I don't like the last one. The first three seem to have some sort of pattern. But you can get an expression for the signal by simply doing

[;y(n) = y_1(n)+y_1(n-1)+y_1(n-2)+y_2(n-3)+y_1(n-4)+y_2(n-5);], etc

No answer though.

See attachment for MATLAB stuffs
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
UR -- thank you for your hard work, but I included only two simple functions toward each number of this series. I think you would do better by mentally seeking a pattern.

Thanks for an introduction to ramp signals -- are these all linear?

(Apparently there is a website where you can look up most known series.)

Exceed in school!
 
Last edited: