Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ninth body found at site of Santa-suit killings

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've always wondered about why so many serial killers and people guilty of heinous crimes are often described as being the nicest, friendliest person, or someone they would never suspect of being capable of such a thing. I guess many have been mentally ill for years. Would you consider someone that cold bloodedly plans and carries out something like this as sane? If not, what would you consider it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081226/ap_on_re_us/santa_shooting

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  4. Dec 26, 2008 #3

Evo

Good question!

Wow, could they have gotten any more detailed in that article?

5. Dec 26, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Well this guy was not a serial killer, but a serial killer must be someone who appears sane to the average person because they have to be capable of killing multiple people over a period of time.

6. Dec 26, 2008 #5
    such a needless tragedy. there really ought to be a 3-day waiting period on hydrocarbons.

7. Dec 26, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

omg Proton...:rofl:

8. Dec 26, 2008 #7

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's called narcissism ... nothing else matters except themselves , if they want to kill then that is the necessary justification that they need ... everything else is besides the point.

People do not have to be genuine to be liked , being liked is about many other things. Should I be handsome as Brad Pitt I would gain instant trust from every women that I met.

9. Dec 26, 2008 #8
  10. Dec 26, 2008 #9
    Few things make my heart sink as much as this. What a horror. Imagine going to a holiday celebration and your 8 year old gets popped in the face. Truely a nightmare. The world is not always sugar and spice and all things nice. :frown:

11. Dec 26, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Echoing Russ' comments, I'll bet that Jeffrey Dahmer appeared to be a nice, quiet guy and that people in his neighborhood would never expect him to have killed, raped, cannibalized at least 17 children and young men. The fellow mentioned in the OP had gone through a messy divorce and lost his job - the two most stressful events you can go through apart from the death of a loved one, and he snapped. There is NO way to guard against that. Even if he had threatened his ex-wife or her parents and they had been granted protective orders, those are only effective against somebody who fears incarceration. Someone contemplating a mass-murder would not be deterred by empty court orders like that.

12. Dec 26, 2008 #11
    I'm a rather quiet person. I don't talk much and generally find I don't have much in common with most people but quite often I find people talking to me for no particular reason. Perhaps, since I am mostly quiet, they feel that I am listening to them but really they most often bore or annoy me and I am trying to ignore them in hopes they will go away. At any rate I often find people whom I barely know, and who probably know next to nothing about me, saying that I'm a 'cool guy' and such. So I can see how some of these people who are described as "quiet" and "nice" could very well be loony toons since these people probably never bothered to really get to know them. They are not necessarily arrogant, narcissistic, or disingenuous.

13. Dec 26, 2008 #12
    People like this should just cut right to the chase and shoot themselves first. What a S.O.B.

14. Dec 26, 2008 #13
    Because it's natural selection. People with such heavy mental problems are only out of the madhouse or prison because they seem cheerful and nice and etc, so nobody can suspect a thing.

15. Dec 26, 2008 #14
    that's not trust, but it rhymes with it.

and i don't think this has anything to do with serial killers. it sounds like a bitter hatred has been brewing for some time.

16. Dec 27, 2008 #15

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bundy was dumped before he went on his " adventure " and apparently he had women problems before , he came to despise women which probably took place ever since he was young.

It all depends on the course of development. Someone who has been conscientious and organized to obtain a wife and a child with a decent job and social life may find it a big strike to his ego to get layed off and have his family leave him ... he won't have any of it , he does not deserve it , and others are going to pay for it.

When the time comes it is all about narcissism.

17. Dec 27, 2008 #16

Pythagorean

Gold Member

my uneducated theory:

I think there's a lot of powerplay involved in murder, which indicates control issues in the perp. It would probably be embarrassing for such extremist control freaks to show they can't contain themselves in social interactions so they tend to be excellent social engineers.

18. Dec 27, 2008 #17
    Emerging details indicated Pardo devised an extensive plan to destroy his ex-wife's family after a costly divorce that was finalized last week, just months after losing his aerospace job.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081227/ap_on_re_us/santa_shooting
    Sounds like he lost everything of importance to him, and didn't know how to get the help he needed {or didn't realize he needed it}.
    All of this was so well thought out, I'm glad he did away with himself, saved us a lot of money.

19. Dec 27, 2008 #18

Evo

So he hadn't intended to kill himself, he had planned to escape the country after killing all those people, but he accidently suffered severe burns when he was setting their house on fire. Serves the moron right. What was the point in him setting a bomb in his rental car?

20. Dec 27, 2008 #19
    why is it only the man's fault? maybe the women are doing some things here to incite the violence that really ought to be prosecuted.

21. Dec 27, 2008 #20

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not claiming that it is the man's fault , some men go crazy because of manipulative women others have a drinking binge with friends , if you do not have the emotional capacity and maturity to deal with having your kids taken away from you do not get married.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?