1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear Parabolic BVP: Possible Numerical Methods

1. Apr 20, 2006 #1
    Hi all!

I am coming back here after a long time. Last time I got the answer I was looking for, here. I hope that I will find it again.

I need the possible numerical methods for solving the following PDE: Its a nonlinear parabolic boundary value problem. I want a very stable algorithm as this equation is a part of a bigger code. I don’t want accumulated numerical errors as I am investigating an instability in the bigger code involving a lot of iterations.

The PDE is :
    d(N(x,t))/dt=D*d2(N(x,t))/dx2-A*N(x,t)-B*N2(x,t)-C*N3(x,t)-S(x,t)+ R(x)

N(x=a,t)=N(x=b,t)=0 for all t. N(x,t=0)=f(x) . (f(x) is a Gaussian function)

where N2 is N-squared, N3 is N-cube and so on. S(x,t) can be a rapidly oscillating function in x and t. C is very small as compared to the other constants A, B and D (all positive).

Is it possible to use a relaxation method for solving the above PDE? I ask this because the corresponding steady state problem can be solved very effectively using a Relaxation method and I have a efficient code for that already.

Please also give me a reference with your suggestions so that I can refer it. Please ask me if you need any more information about the PDE.

Thanks for the help in advance and for having such a great forum.

Jam

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2006 #2

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would solve it with FD, advancing implicitly in time. It is a robust and stable method according to Von Neummann analysis, but your non-linearity may cause numerical instability. Linearize your non linear terms and interate insinde each time t loop for the convergence between the lagged coefficient of the non linear term and the solution itself.

And have fun!

4. Apr 23, 2006 #3
    Thanks Clausius2 for the reply. Can you please give me some reference for the technique you suggested.
    Jam

5. Apr 23, 2006 #4
    Thanks Clausius2 for the reply. Can you please give me some reference for the technique you suggested.
    Jam

6. Apr 23, 2006 #5

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're welcome. I guess the best edible books for dealing with this stuff are the book of J.D.Anderson "CFD", and Anderson and Tanenhill (CFD and heat transfer).

PS: CFD: computational fluid dynamics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?