North American nebula from this past summer

In summary, the speaker shot an image of western Canada in July 2016 using a modded Canon 550d and a guided 80mm doublet. They processed the image out of a single exposure as they had trouble stacking their subs. They initially used DSS for stacking but now use Nebulosity, while also noting that DSS should not be used for processing.
spark802
I shot this from western Canada July of 2016. Processed this out of a single exp as i had trouble stacking my subs. 300 secs, guided, 80mm doublet, Modded Canon 550d.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49843779@N08/29239414483/in/dateposted/

Attachments

• North American nebula.JPG
    North American nebula.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 633
Likes Andy Resnick, DrClaude, Drakkith and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
spark802 said:
I shot this from western Canada July of 2016. Processed this out of a single exp as i had trouble stacking my subs. 300 secs, guided, 80mm doublet, Modded Canon 550d.

[PLAIN]https://www.flickr.com/photos/49843779@N08/29239414483/in/dateposted/[/QUOTE]

very nice
what prog were you trying to stack them in ?
DSS should have no problems

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
davenn said:
very nice
what prog were you trying to stack them in ?
DSS should have no problems

Dave
thanks, i use Nebulosity now which works for me. I was using DSS a few months back and i always seemed to have trouble with it.

spark802 said:
thanks, i use Nebulosity now which works for me. I was using DSS a few months back and i always seemed to have trouble with it.

DSS is awesome for stacking, it will handle many dozens of images
But NEVER do processing in DSS. I and others will save the file and edit in photoshop etc

Likes spark802

1. What is the North American nebula and why is it significant?

The North American nebula is a large, diffuse emission nebula located in the constellation Cygnus. It is significant because it is one of the brightest and most well-known nebulae in the night sky, and it contains a vast amount of gas and dust that is actively forming new stars.

2. What happened with the North American nebula this past summer?

The North American nebula is a permanent and unchanging feature in the night sky, so nothing specifically happened with it this past summer. However, it is a popular target for astrophotographers during the summer months due to its high visibility and striking appearance.

3. How far away is the North American nebula?

The exact distance of the North American nebula is still debated, but it is generally estimated to be between 1,600 and 2,000 light-years away from Earth. This means that the light we see from the nebula today actually left it over a thousand years ago.

4. Can the North American nebula be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, the North American nebula can be seen with the naked eye under ideal conditions. It is most easily visible in dark, rural areas with little light pollution. However, it may appear as a faint, hazy patch rather than a distinct shape without the aid of a telescope.

5. How does studying the North American nebula contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying the North American nebula allows us to better understand the process of star formation and the evolution of interstellar gas and dust. It also provides insight into the structure and dynamics of our own galaxy, as the nebula is located within the Milky Way. Additionally, studying nebulae in general can help us understand the overall structure and composition of the universe.

Back