What did Albert Einstein mean by 'Nothing happens until something moves'?

• Thread starter James William Hall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary: Too good!In summary, Einstein said that "nothing happens until something moves." He was talking about how you can't just think about something and expect it to happen, you need to take action to make it happen.
James William Hall
Gold Member
Albert Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves. When something vibrates, the electrons of the entire universe resonate with it." I'm reasonably sure that's hyperbole so what was his point?

Physics news on Phys.org
James William Hall said:
Albert Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves. When something vibrates, the electrons of the entire universe resonate with it." I'm reasonably sure that's hyperbole so what was his point?
Doesn't look like hyperbole to me (though it seems to lack context). What exactly is your issue with it?

Likes Hornbein, Astronuc and Bystander
Other than it can't be tested I don't have an issue. My point was, does anyone know what his point was?

Do you happen to know the source for the quote? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find it. People rarely proclaim a sentence or two and leave it at that---context would help. The quote is sufficiently woowoo that you could read all kinds of meaning into it.

Likes symbolipoint and russ_watters
That's not really a reference. It's just prettier. :wink:

To paraphrase Lawrence Peter Berra, "Einstein didn't say all the things he said."

• Wow
Likes jim mcnamara, symbolipoint, diogenesNY and 1 other person
Likes russ_watters
"I did not say this." -- Albert Einstein

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet!" - Albert Einstein

• Haha
  • Love
Likes david2, strangerep, Astronuc and 3 others
Ivan Seeking said:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet!" - Albert Einstein
I think Abraham Lincoln said that...

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, Wrichik Basu, Bystander and 2 others
gmax137 said:
I think Abraham Lincoln said that...
In the original Klingon.

Likes BillTre and Bystander
This kind of quote is typically used as a marketing tool for businesses or cults based on new age spiritualism or mysticism. There is a popular cult (or brand of new age mysticism) based in the town of Shasta CA, for example, where masters of their cult are claimed to be able to raise their vibrations to the point they ascend, vanish and become one with the universe. They have crystal shops everywhere, and the sign outside reads that the crystal chooses you. People meditate trying to synchronize the resination of their atoms with the crystal. The last time I was there, a person outside the coffee shot was resonating with a tree.

• Haha
  • Sad
Likes strangerep, Lnewqban, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
"If nothing is moving, then nothing is happening." -- Kurt Kobaine

James William Hall said:
A little time to think about the quotation is needed, plus some life experience and imagination.

A good interpretation is, you can think and talk all you want but nothing useful happens until somebody actually takes some action. Or, "Stop talking , and get busy!"

I am not sure if the physicsforums system will allow the kind of vocabulary I wish to use here, but the quote can mean equivalently, "If you want some results, then get up and move your ass!"

Jarvis323 said:
The last time I was there, a person outside the coffee shot was resonating with a tree.
It's better to resonate with a tree, than destroy the rainforests, if you ask me.

Likes BillTre
PeroK said:
It's better to resonate with a tree, than destroy the rainforests, if you ask me.
I tried to resinate with a pine tree once. Took forever to get cleaned up.

• Haha
Likes gmax137, DaveC426913, BillTre and 3 others
jbriggs444 said:
I tried to resinate with a pine tree once. Took forever to get cleaned up.
Too good!

What did Albert Einstein mean by "Nothing happens until something moves"?

Albert Einstein meant that in order for any kind of change or action to occur, there must be some kind of movement or motion. Without movement, nothing can happen or change.

Why did Albert Einstein say "Nothing happens until something moves"?

Albert Einstein believed in the concept of relativity, which states that all things are relative to one another and that motion is relative. Therefore, he believed that without motion, nothing can occur or change.

How does "Nothing happens until something moves" relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that motion is relative and that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. Therefore, this quote emphasizes the importance of motion and its role in causing change or action.

What is the significance of "Nothing happens until something moves" in the scientific world?

This quote emphasizes the fundamental role of motion in the natural world and in scientific principles. It also highlights the interconnectedness of all things and the idea that nothing can exist in isolation.

Can "Nothing happens until something moves" be applied to other areas besides science?

Yes, this quote can be applied to various areas of life such as philosophy, psychology, and even personal growth. It can serve as a reminder that in order for progress or change to occur, some kind of movement or action is necessary.