NSERC Research Awards in Canada - Great Experience!

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, NSERC is a prestigious award that can be obtained for summer research in Canada. It is possible to get an award for research in Pure Mathematics by selecting it as a field on the application form. The deadline for application is important to note.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm from Canada, and this is one of the big awards you can get for the summer. Great for experience.

http://www.nserc.gc.ca/sf_e.asp?nav=sfnav&lbi=1_toc

Does anybody know if it is possible to get an award to do research in Pure Mathematics?

I'm going to talk to my professor about this tomorrow. I wouldn't mind changing the topic a little to fit the criteria of the award. It would certainly be a great experience.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I've done it two years in a row, in pure mathematics. When you fill out the application form, you are asked to select a field and pure mathematics is one of the options.

AKG said:
Yes, I've done it two years in a row, in pure mathematics. When you fill out the application form, you are asked to select a field and pure mathematics is one of the options.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

My professor told me about this last year, but missed the deadline. I'm hoping to get it this year.

Should be fun.

good luck!
NSERC applies to any science... so I've had friends get them in math,physics, biology, chemistry,etc.

1. What are NSERC Research Awards in Canada?

NSERC Research Awards in Canada are prestigious grants awarded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) to support research in the fields of natural sciences and engineering. These awards are highly competitive and provide funding for research projects, as well as opportunities for professional development and mentorship.

2. Who is eligible for NSERC Research Awards in Canada?

Eligibility for NSERC Research Awards in Canada varies depending on the specific award. Generally, applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, be enrolled in or have completed a degree in a relevant field, and have demonstrated research potential. Some awards may also have specific eligibility requirements, such as a minimum GPA or area of research focus.

3. How do I apply for NSERC Research Awards in Canada?

The application process for NSERC Research Awards in Canada varies depending on the specific award. Generally, applicants must submit a research proposal, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and other supporting documents. It is important to carefully read the guidelines and instructions for each award before submitting an application. The NSERC website also provides resources and tips for preparing a successful application.

4. What are the benefits of receiving an NSERC Research Award in Canada?

Receiving an NSERC Research Award in Canada can provide numerous benefits, including financial support for research projects, opportunities for networking and collaboration with other researchers, and access to professional development and training opportunities. Additionally, receiving an NSERC Research Award can enhance one's academic and professional profile and may lead to future funding opportunities and career advancement.

5. How competitive are NSERC Research Awards in Canada?

NSERC Research Awards in Canada are highly competitive, with a limited number of awards available each year. The exact level of competition varies depending on the specific award and field of research. It is important for applicants to carefully prepare their applications and ensure they meet all eligibility requirements to increase their chances of success.