1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of points in mesh (Comsol 4.3b)

1. Feb 11, 2014 #1
    Hello everybody. I'm new with Comsol and I'm working with the 4.3b version. I'm trying a simulation of a sphere (in 3D, of course) and I want to figure out in how many points is Comsol evaluating the ecuation. I know I set the maximum and minimum size of the tetrahedrals (I'm using tetrahedrals in this case), but I don't know how many points is Comsol considerating for solving the problem. I'd be glad if anyone could help me. Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2014 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not sure I quite understand the question.
    Are you asking how to find out how many mesh elements Comsol is using?
    I am pretty sure that is reported by the solver.

A FEM solver does not solve at really solve at "points" as such, it uses the mesh elements as base functions.

4. Feb 11, 2014 #3
    You can see the number of elements by going mesh>statistics. You can also see the number of DOF in the messages tab when the simulation is running. The number of DOF tells you more about the speed of the simulation than the number of elements.

5. Feb 12, 2014 #4
    Thank you very much! I thought it solved it point by point, but I was wrong. Thank you both f95toli & bp_psy for your answers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook