Obama Visiting Yosemite by Helicopter w/ Balloons

• Thread starter Davephaelon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of climbing Halfdome in 1989 and the recent visit of President Obama and his family to Yosemite by helicopter. The discussion also includes a humorous story about the speaker's climb, in which they forgot to bring water and had a piece of salmon, causing them to reek of the fish and imagine being chased by bears.
Davephaelon
Having climbed Halfdome in 1989 (via John Muir trail and other trails), I was curious about the story of president Obama and family visiting Yosemite by helicopter. The first very spectacular picture shows the two helicopters (Marine 1 and a Chinook for the press) flying in the foreground of Halfdome, and utterly dwarfed by it. But right above the the scalloped area atop Halfdome there appears to be two white balloons tied together. They might not actually be above Halfdome, but in the foreground, closer to the camera. Hard to say. I'm on a notebook computer, at a coffee shop, with a small screen. Maybe others with bigger screens can see more detail.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a humorous story to tell about that climb up Halfdome. When I left my car, about 1 mile from the trailhead, I forgot to bring water. If memory serves the trail to the top was about 8 and 1/ miles, or 17 round trip. Add 2 for the trip back and forth to the car and it was about 19 miles, with about 4700 feet of elevation increase.

I also brought a piece of cooked salmon that was frozen. I got about halfway up and ate the salmon. Unfortunattely I reeked of salmon on my hands and face. I tried my best to clean the residue off with sand and water at the streams along the way, but the odor stayed with me. The day was hot, 90 degrees, and I kept imagining a stampede of black bears thundering behind me attracted to this unusual walking salmon!

I was super thirsty when I got back to the parking lot and drank a lot of water.

1. What was the purpose of Obama's visit to Yosemite?

The purpose of President Obama's visit to Yosemite was to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service and to highlight the importance of preserving and protecting our national parks.

2. Did Obama arrive at Yosemite by helicopter?

Yes, President Obama arrived at Yosemite by helicopter. He landed at the Yosemite Valley Airport and then took a motorcade to the park's visitor center.

3. Why were there balloons during Obama's visit?

The balloons were part of a celebration for the National Park Service's 100th anniversary. They were released during a ceremony at the park's visitor center.

4. Did Obama take a tour of the park during his visit?

Yes, President Obama took a tour of the park during his visit. He visited several landmarks, including the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias and the Sentinel Bridge, where he gave a speech about the importance of preserving our national parks for future generations.

5. How did Obama's visit impact Yosemite?

President Obama's visit brought national attention to Yosemite and the National Park Service. It also highlighted the importance of protecting our natural resources and promoting tourism in national parks. Additionally, his visit brought in a significant amount of revenue for the local economy through increased tourism.

Back