Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Odd Differencing Method for Solving DE

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    Hey all,

I have a friend working in Earth Sciences who appears to be doing something with DEs. If I understand his data correctly, it appears as though he's solving a differential equation of the form
    [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = f(x) [/tex]
    Let [0,L] be the interval over which this is to be solved, [itex] y(0) = y_0 [/itex] and take a partition [itex] 0 =x_0 < x_1 < \cdots < x_{n-1} < x_n = L [/itex]. Then it appears that his differencing method is giving the approximation of the [itex] (i+1)^{st} [/itex] value as
    [tex] y(x_{i+1}) = \frac{ f(x_{i+1}) (x_{i+1} - x_i) - \left(\sum_{j=0}^i y(x_j)\right) (x_i - x_{i-1}) }{x_{i+1}} [/tex]
    I don't recognize the formula. The summation term would be theoretically reminiscent of an integral yes? Does anyone recognize this?

Edit: Sorry, that summation might actually only be [itex] y(x_i) [/itex]. I'm not quite sure yet since the data is a little fuzzy. If that's the case, this is almost an Euler method right? But it still doesn't quite seem there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2
    Are you sure it's a y(x_j) in the sum and not f(x_j)? Given the DE, y(x_j) makes no sense at all.

EDIT: No, actually, it doesn't make sense either way.

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3
    Just checked the data. That summation is wrong, but it does represent the solution at the previous partition point. This would be [itex] y(x_i) [/itex].

It almost looks like an Euler method with some sort of bizarre scaling. We can re-arrange it to get

[tex] y(x_{i+1}) x_{i+1} = y(x_i)(x_i -x_{i-1}) + f(x_{i+1}) (x_{i+1} - x_i) [/tex]

My friend now tells me that if we drop the [itex] x_{i-1} [/itex] term from the y(x_i) he gets better results. This would leave

[tex] y(x_{i+1}) x_{i+1} = y(x_i)x_i + f(x_{i+1}) (x_{i+1} - x_i) [/tex]

Which looks exactly like an Euler method with some sort of weird scaling on the solution.

5. Jul 12, 2011 #4
    Looks more like Adams-Bashforth than Euler to me.

6. Jul 13, 2011 #5
    Isn't one-step AB just Euler?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook