Official State Songs: Oregon's Song Is Alright

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    State
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
I didn't realize that we have a State Song...though I might have guessed. In any case I've never heard it.

http://www.50states.com/songs/

Oregon's song is alright but some are kinda scary. :biggrin:

Oregon, My Oregon
Words by J.A. Buchanan
Music by Henry B. Murtagh

Land of the Empire Builders, Land of the Golden West;
Conquered and held by free men, Fairest and the best.
On-ward and upward ever, Forward and on, and on;
Hail to thee, Land of the Heroes, My Oregon.

Land of the rose and sunshine, Land of the summer's breeze;
Laden with health and vigor, Fresh from the western seas.
Blest by the blood of martyrs, Land of the setting sun;
Hail to thee, Land of Promise, My Oregon.

martyrs?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"Oh, Manifest, my manifest
from god all-gracious DESTINEE!"

I'm sorry, don't know how that thought entered my mind..
 
The TUNE for Virginia was rather neat, but the text is perhaps not quite PC:
"Carry me back to old Virginny,
There's where the cotton and the corn and tatoes grow,
There's where the birds warble sweet in the springtime,
There's where the old darke'ys heart am long'd to go,
There's where I labored so hard for old massa,
Day after day in the field of yellow corn,"


I was surprised that I actually knew Connecticut's state song very well indeed!
And Georgia's..
 
Last edited: