Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta in Grease

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
11 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
As John Travolta said when they asked about having Olivia as his love interest in the movie Grease, everyone wanted Olivia for a girlfriend. I had a crush on her for decades. LOL! And it was very sad to hear of her passing. I found this especially touching and sad. Both of his brothers are gone and now so is she.

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Max Born's granddaughter.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: haushofer and Ivan Seeking
Vanadium 50 said:
Max Born's granddaughter.
YES! I only learned that after she died.
 
A lot of young people today may not realize that it really used to be like this. One moment everyone is at an amusement park minding their own business, and the next moment, everyone starts singing and dancing.

 
Ivan Seeking said:
A lot of young people today may not realize that it really used to be like this. One moment everyone is at an amusement park minding their own business, and the next moment, everyone starts singing and dancing.


After seeing this thread the other day, I went to solve one of the great mysteries : what words are they singing in the chorus of that song ? So, the lyrics are supposed to be "You're the one that I want"... but, they're actually singing "yathewallaballawoo" which is what I remember. Still mystified ; still under the impression that motorboating may be involved.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and phinds
I learned about Max Born's granddaughter from Dr Emil Wolf after taking a course from him in 1978, when "grease" was big. Dr Emil Wolf was coauthor of "Principles of Optics" with Max Born
 
She was lovely wasn’t she?

1690804107761.png


My favourite was always “Sam”
 
I thought this was a bit sloppy in 1978, a girl track. Much preferred Grease lightning and yurwallloawon.
I like it now.

 
And this, the video is strange. I never saw the film but I recognised "Swan" from "The warriors," Michael Beck. Great track though.

 
Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
I thought this was a bit sloppy in 1978, a girl track. Much preferred Grease lightning and yurwallloawon.
I like it now.
That was hers, originally ; go figger. Back in the day I thought it was a cover : it has a Sinatra vibe.

Really surprised at the quality of Travolta's vocal chops, though.
 
hmmm27 said:
That was hers, originally ; go figger. Back in the day I thought it was a cover : it has a Sinatra vibe.

Really surprised at the quality of Travolta's vocal chops, though.
Yeah decent range on him.