1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open-access physics education journals?

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've gotten a couple of requests to referee papers for the European Journal of Physics, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Journal_of_Physics , which is a journal that publishes pedagogical papers (not original physics research). Both of these were for pedagogy papers having to do with relativity, which is in principle a topic I'd enjoy being a referee on, and one on which I think I would typically have sufficient expertise (depending on exactly what the paper was). I did a report on the first one, but now the second request is in my in-box, and I'm thinking that this is probably not where I want to direct my energies, since EJP isn't open-access, and I can't even read it myself. (They theoretically do allow authors to make their papers open-access, but they have to pay $2700 to do so, and clicking through a small random sample of EJP papers failed to turn up any that weren't paywalled.)

Is there any open-access physics journal of this type, focusing on education rather than research?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Awesome, thanks, jedishrfu!

5. Oct 7, 2015 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just in case you are not aware of this, EJP is the IoP's equivalent of the AIP's AJP.

(Yeah, yeah.. I know. I did that on purpose!)

The American Institute of Physics's "American Journal of Physics" is also not an open access journal (at least, not yet). However, unless I'm mistaken, the European Journal of Physics does make a few of the article in each edition open access. How they select which paper to make available is still a mystery.

Still, the IoP has reported that they have joined CHOR Inc. to make publically-funded research work on the US to be Open Access. So it might mean that certain articles appearing across their numerous journals will be that way. This is in addition to the fact that New Journal of Physics, since its inception, had always been an open access journal.

Zz.

6. Oct 7, 2015 #5

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's equally possible that I'm mistaken, but my understanding of the situation is given in #1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook