Orbital Elements-Identification of method

In summary: A quick google search reveals that this is a more general approach that uses the general theory of equations. In summary, the author has attached pages with equations and a description of a method for calculating the orbital elements. The equations are from a more general approach that uses the general theory of equations. The author suspects that the author of the book meant to say 86 and 87 when he wrote "e from (87) and (88)" on page 39. After following the text on page 40, the author eventually finds the equations that relate x, y, z in equatorial coordinates to ecliptic coordinates. These are related to the ecliptic, while the six orbital elements are orbital. There are actually seven orbital elements.
solarblast
Orbital Elements--Identification of method

I'm looking at a book that has a method for calculating the six orbital elements. I'm attaching the relevant pages. My knowledge about orbits is limited to knowing the meaning of the six elements. What I'd like to know is where did these equations come from, and is the author right when he says, "e from (87) and (88)" at the bottom of page 39. I suspect he meant 86 and 87.

I've heard of Gauss' and LaPlace's methods for determining orbits. Is the approach given one of those? He notes Herget as a source at the top of page 40. I have access to it, but is not a simple matter to browse through to find the approach on page 40.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Well, for all practical purposes, it looked like I attached 4 jpg files. Guess not, so I'll do it now.

Ah, they were tif files. Invalid. Not quite. I had posted these before with a similar question, and apparently cannot post them again. It's a different question this time.

See <https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=556478> Pages 37-40.

I think it's saying that you need to find p before you can find e, so you would have to do 88 first then do 87. Not sure really.

As it turns out, after really following the text onto page 40, the equations there at the top of the page transform x,y,z in equatorial coordinates to ecliptic coordinates. That paves the way to get omega, capital omega, and the inclination. These are all related to the ecliptic, while the six on the previous page are orbital. If the author had mentioned ecliptic that would have made it clearer. There actually seven orbital elements. q, perihelion distance is mentioned above eq (85), and in (92). We are now getting proper results.

It appears the math here is from the La Place method.

Thank you for providing this information and sharing your interest in orbital elements. The method for calculating the six orbital elements can vary depending on the specific problem and the available data. However, there are a few commonly used methods, including Gauss' and LaPlace's methods, as you mentioned.

Based on the information you provided, it seems that the author is using a combination of these methods to calculate the orbital elements. The equations referenced at the bottom of page 39 may be a combination of equations from both methods. It would be helpful to have more context and information about the equations to determine their exact origin.

As for the source mentioned at the top of page 40, Herget's book "Introduction to Celestial Mechanics" is a well-known and respected resource for orbital mechanics. It is likely that the author is using Herget's approach as a reference or as a basis for their own method.

In general, the process of determining orbital elements involves analyzing observational data and applying mathematical equations and principles to calculate the orbital parameters. It is a complex and specialized field of study, but it is crucial for understanding and predicting the motion of celestial bodies.

If you are interested in learning more about the specific method used in this book, I would recommend consulting Herget's book or seeking out other resources on orbital mechanics. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field for further clarification and understanding.

What are orbital elements and why are they important?

Orbital elements are a set of parameters that describe the shape, size, and orientation of an orbit around a celestial body. They are important because they allow scientists to precisely calculate and predict the movement of objects in space.

What methods are used to identify orbital elements?

The most commonly used method to identify orbital elements is through observations of an object's position and velocity over time. Other methods include radar observations and spacecraft flybys.

How accurate are the identified orbital elements?

The accuracy of identified orbital elements depends on the quality and quantity of the data used for calculations. With precise observations and advanced mathematical models, orbital elements can be calculated with high accuracy.

Can orbital elements change over time?

Yes, orbital elements can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, atmospheric drag, and solar radiation pressure. These changes can be predicted and accounted for in orbital calculations.

What are some applications of orbital elements?

Orbital elements are used in various fields, including space exploration, astronomy, and satellite tracking. They are also crucial in predicting and avoiding collisions between objects in space.