Ordered Pairs for x and y: How to Solve x2 + 2x + 18 = y2 with Integers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter spoc21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pair
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
spoc21
Messages
85
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Please find all ordered pairs of integers (x,y) such that x2 + 2x + 18 = y2

Homework Equations


x2 + 2x + 18 = y2

The Attempt at a Solution



Im not sure on how to begin. I tried square-rooting the expression, to solve for y, turning it into y = [tex]\sqrt{x + 2x + 18}[/tex]. I would greatly appreciate any help to get me started on this problem.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
spoc21 said:

Homework Statement


Please find all ordered pairs of integers (x,y) such that x2 + 2x + 18 = y2


Homework Equations


x2 + 2x + 18 = y2


The Attempt at a Solution



Im not sure on how to begin. I tried square-rooting the expression, to solve for y, turning it into y = [tex]\sqrt{x + 2x + 18}[/tex]. I would greatly appreciate any help to get me started on this problem.

Thanks!
It might be helpful to complete the square. Then you would have the difference of two squares being equal to -17.
 
Hey, thanks for the help.
So after this step, do we use trial and error to find the correct solution. I am getting one ordered pair, (9,9), and (-9,-7) after all the math(since x, and y can only be integers). I would really appreciate it if you could confirm this.
Thank you