Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oregon Country Fair (OCF)

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oregon country fair

I noticed in the "Tsu down Hard" thread Tsu mentioned going (or not going :grumpy:( ) as the case may be to the Oregon Country Fair. I thought I would post a link just so others could see what she is missing. (This year, we WILL do it next year!)

I first went to the fair in ~1978, it was pretty wild. This is a huge gathering of hippies, so Russ you may not enjoy it. That's ok 'cus even square nerds are allowed in. Basically it is a long figure 8 shaped path lined with craft and food booths. There is (or was) no electricity for anything, so iced drinks are hard to come up with, things like Coke and Pepsi are simply NOT sold. Music is everywhere, the cross roads (figure 8 remember!) was the home of the drums, they play continuously, there were drums of every size and shape this really sets the mood of the whole fair. There is every sort of entertainment, folk, rock and roll, belly dancing you name it you can find it.

I see now the site claims to be drug free, it has always been alcohol free, but drugs? The first years I was there green cookies and brownies were being openly sold from baskets along the path. I recall seeing someone buy a green brownie from a push cart, evidently the transaction was also witnessed by a little old man. He approached the cart looking for a brownie, the vendor denied any knowledge of brownies, knowing that this old fellow would not appreciate the extra ingredients. Unfortunately, people got pretty carried away with it. That sort of thing went on for about 2 years that I know of then the authorities got wind of it and closed down the open sales.

Partial nudity was also common in the early days, not sure what all has changed in the last 20yrs. I was there last about 15yrs ago and am looking forward to seeing how it has changed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2
    I'd sure go if only it were not that far. Let's have a PF gathering there next year then. I'm sure Astro would perfectly fit in there.

4. Jul 7, 2008 #3
    Find the Ocf thread that Tsu had started before she broke her hip. There were some pictures showing proof of the continuation of at least the nudity part.

Will I see you at da Vinci Days Integral?

5. Jul 7, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are absolutely going to OCF next year!! My hubby and I have wanted to go for years. Sounds like our cup of tea (think we'll pass on the brownies, though :wink: )!

6. Jul 7, 2008 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think we are going to try to bring our robot, from the FIRST competition, so yeah I should be around.

7. Jul 7, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone know the dates for next year?

8. Jul 7, 2008 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is on the 2nd weekend in July. (of course as soon as I make a unqualified statement, something will change!)

9. Jul 7, 2008 #8
    Cool man. If you go to the river portion of the Kinetic Scupture Race, look for me in my orange Pyranha kayak. I WISH we had a flag for PF, I'd put in on my boat.

10. Jul 8, 2008 #9

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I was going to create a "Physforophile", 60's inspired, far out and groovy t-shirt for the team. Until all the broken hips and such........ :cry:

How will I recognize you in the boat? How many people in the boat? Wait a minute.... I'm confusing this with the milk jug and/or dragon boat races..... It's a kayak. Just look for the piranha.... AHHHHHH!

sorry....

I'm gettin in the stupid stinkin hippie mode....

4 days!

:rofl::rofl:

11. Jul 8, 2008 #10
    I'll find a pic of the boat real fast. It'll just be me in it, but my dad will be on a boat with two pontoons of about 10 inches in diameter about 2 feet apart.

If Ivan and Tsu make it, I'll be on the look out for a walker.

12. Jul 8, 2008 #11
    [​IMG]
    Thats my boat.

[​IMG]
    Those are what my dad's boat looks like.

13. Jul 8, 2008 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Is there more than one piranha kayak?
    Now that might be harder to spot. The fair has been going on since 1969, and all those original hippies probably have souped up, Tsu inspired walkers by now.:cool:

14. Jul 8, 2008 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How are you going to pedal that through the mud hole?

15. Jul 8, 2008 #14
    Ha Ha, I'm not...

I think my link screwed up, if I can find a working link to a picture of my dad's boat, I'll repost. (And there's only one orange boat, that was just the best picture I could find.

16. Jul 8, 2008 #15
  17. Jul 8, 2008 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Oh. I thought it was going to be a kayak shaped like a piranha.
    I've never seen one of those before.
    That looks almost exactly like a design I've been floating around in my head for the last 6 months. I thought I was going to have to build one.

What day is the boat race?
    I've never been to da Vinci days.

Have you added wheels and things to your pyranha?
    http://www.davinci-days.org/kinetic_challenge.php

18. Jul 8, 2008 #17
    Nah man, we're not competing, we just float the river with the Sculptures for the fun of it.

Check out http://www.jpwinc.com, they make these boats, which are called Pack Cats, along with Catarafts and some other stuff. They're based out of Aztec, NM right near me.

19. Jul 9, 2008 #18

OmCheeto

Gold Member

For the life of me, I can't figure out the schedule:

Are all of those listings races?

I really want to get a look at your dad's boat.
    No offense, but I didn't see any room on your pyranha for a 40qt cooler. :wink:

Oops! Off topic.....

48.5 hours till the OCF gates open. Get's your tickets now. They do not sell tickets at the gate!

[​IMG]

20. Jul 9, 2008 #19
    Here's the way it works.

On the 18th is the Art and Pageantry judging, which is basically the first public introduction to the sculptures and the teams. You can walk around and get these "trading cards" from each team

On the 19th the road race starts at the Lower Campus. It ends at the Benton county fairgrounds where the do the sand dune.

On the 20th, they do the mud bog, and later, the river.

21. Jul 17, 2008 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Then I should look for you in the river race at noon on Sunday? My friends and I have never been and would like to drive down for the day.

Did you make it to the OCF? I only went Friday and Saturday.
    My friends(~) didn't make me walk back to camp so I must have been good. o:)

Let me know if you want any fudge. I got 3 1/2 pounds! 7 flavors. Last year I only brought home 1 pound and it took me 11 months to eat it. You can't have any of my hippie soap though. It's mine, all mine......... :devil:

[​IMG]

Yup. They're still running around nekit and eatin peaches at the fair!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?