What is the Oregon Country Fair and what can visitors expect?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Oregon Country Fair, a hippie gathering that takes place in Oregon. The fair features craft and food booths, music, and various forms of entertainment, and was known for its open drug use and partial nudity in the past, but has since become more regulated. The participants also discuss plans to attend the fair next year and the possibility of a PF gathering there. They also mention other events, such as the Kinetic Sculpture Race and Da Vinci Days.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.oregoncountryfair.org/quick_visitor_guide.php"

I noticed in the "Tsu down Hard" thread Tsu mentioned going (or not going :grumpy:( ) as the case may be to the Oregon Country Fair. I thought I would post a link just so others could see what she is missing. (This year, we WILL do it next year!)

I first went to the fair in ~1978, it was pretty wild. This is a huge gathering of hippies, so Russ you may not enjoy it. That's ok 'cus even square nerds are allowed in. Basically it is a long figure 8 shaped path lined with craft and food booths. There is (or was) no electricity for anything, so iced drinks are hard to come up with, things like Coke and Pepsi are simply NOT sold. Music is everywhere, the cross roads (figure 8 remember!) was the home of the drums, they play continuously, there were drums of every size and shape this really sets the mood of the whole fair. There is every sort of entertainment, folk, rock and roll, belly dancing you name it you can find it.

I see now the site claims to be drug free, it has always been alcohol free, but drugs? The first years I was there green cookies and brownies were being openly sold from baskets along the path. I recall seeing someone buy a green brownie from a push cart, evidently the transaction was also witnessed by a little old man. He approached the cart looking for a brownie, the vendor denied any knowledge of brownies, knowing that this old fellow would not appreciate the extra ingredients. Unfortunately, people got pretty carried away with it. That sort of thing went on for about 2 years that I know of then the authorities got wind of it and closed down the open sales.

Partial nudity was also common in the early days, not sure what all has changed in the last 20yrs. I was there last about 15yrs ago and am looking forward to seeing how it has changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd sure go if only it were not that far. Let's have a PF gathering there next year then. I'm sure Astro would perfectly fit in there.

Find the Ocf thread that Tsu had started before she broke her hip. There were some pictures showing proof of the continuation of at least the nudity part.

Will I see you at da Vinci Days Integral?

We are absolutely going to OCF next year! My hubby and I have wanted to go for years. Sounds like our cup of tea (think we'll pass on the brownies, though :wink: )!

binzing said:
Find the Ocf thread that Tsu had started before she broke her hip. There were some pictures showing proof of the continuation of at least the nudity part.

Will I see you at da Vinci Days Integral?

I think we are going to try to bring our robot, from the FIRST competition, so yeah I should be around.

Does anyone know the dates for next year?

It is on the 2nd weekend in July. (of course as soon as I make a unqualified statement, something will change!)

Cool man. If you go to the river portion of the Kinetic Scupture Race, look for me in my orange Pyranha kayak. I WISH we had a flag for PF, I'd put in on my boat.

binzing said:
Cool man. If you go to the river portion of the Kinetic Scupture Race, look for me in my orange Pyranha kayak. I WISH we had a flag for PF, I'd put in on my boat.

I was going to create a "Physforophile", 60's inspired, far out and groovy t-shirt for the team. Until all the broken hips and such... :cry:

How will I recognize you in the boat? How many people in the boat? Wait a minute... I'm confusing this with the milk jug and/or dragon boat races... It's a kayak. Just look for the piranha... AHHHHHH!

sorry...

I'm gettin in the stupid stinkin hippie mode...

4 days!

:rofl::rofl:

I'll find a pic of the boat real fast. It'll just be me in it, but my dad will be on a boat with two pontoons of about 10 inches in diameter about 2 feet apart.

If Ivan and Tsu make it, I'll be on the look out for a walker.

http://www.paddlerzone.co.nz/image/white_water_kayak/pyranha_s6x.jpg
Thats my boat.

37780007.jpg

Those are what my dad's boat looks like.

binzing said:
I'll find a pic of the boat real fast. It'll just be me in it, but my dad will be on a boat with two pontoons of about 10 inches in diameter about 2 feet apart.
Is there more than one piranha kayak?
If Ivan and Tsu make it, I'll be on the look out for a walker.

Now that might be harder to spot. The fair has been going on since 1969, and all those original hippies probably have souped up, Tsu inspired walkers by now.:cool:

binzing said:
http://www.paddlerzone.co.nz/image/white_water_kayak/pyranha_s6x.jpg
Thats my boat.

37780007.jpg

How are you going to pedal that through the mud hole?

Ha Ha, I'm not...

I think my link screwed up, if I can find a working link to a picture of my dad's boat, I'll repost. (And there's only one orange boat, that was just the best picture I could find.

http://www.jpwinc.com/index.php?page=products&item_no=4386
That's the bigger version of what my dad will be in, except his is baby blue.

binzing said:
Thats my boat.
Oh. I thought it was going to be a kayak shaped like a piranha.
I've never seen one of those before.
That looks almost exactly like a design I've been floating around in my head for the last 6 months. I thought I was going to have to build one.

What day is the boat race?
I've never been to da Vinci days.

Have you added wheels and things to your pyranha?
http://www.davinci-days.org/kinetic_challenge.php

Nah man, we're not competing, we just float the river with the Sculptures for the fun of it.

Check out http://www.jpwinc.com, they make these boats, which are called Pack Cats, along with Catarafts and some other stuff. They're based out of Aztec, NM right near me.

binzing said:
Nah man, we're not competing, we just float the river with the Sculptures for the fun of it.

Check out http://www.jpwinc.com, they make these boats, which are called Pack Cats, along with Catarafts and some other stuff. They're based out of Aztec, NM right near me.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the schedule:

http://www.davinci-days.org/kinetic_challenge_schedule.php
Friday, July 18
Shady Stage
Art & Pageantry Judging: 5-7pm

Saturday, July 19
14th/15th & Campus Way
Leo's Kinetic Parade: 12-1pm

OSU Lower Campus
LeMans Start: 2pm

Benton County Fairgrounds
Sand Dune: 2:15-4pm

Sunday, July 20
Crystal Lake Sports Complex
Mud Bog: 10 am-12 pm
River Entry: 12:15-12:45pm

Riverfront
River Run: 12:15-1:15 pm

1st & Tyler Streets
River Exit: 12:45-1:15pm

Shady Stage
Awards Ceremony: 5-6pm

Are all of those listings races?

I really want to get a look at your dad's boat.
No offense, but I didn't see any room on your pyranha for a 40qt cooler. :wink:

Oops! Off topic...

48.5 hours till the OCF gates open. Get's your tickets now. They do not sell tickets at the gate!

pfOCF07AcReAr.jpg

Here's the way it works.

On the 18th is the Art and Pageantry judging, which is basically the first public introduction to the sculptures and the teams. You can walk around and get these "trading cards" from each team

On the 19th the road race starts at the Lower Campus. It ends at the Benton county fairgrounds where the do the sand dune.

On the 20th, they do the mud bog, and later, the river.

binzing said:
Here's the way it works.

On the 18th is the Art and Pageantry judging, which is basically the first public introduction to the sculptures and the teams. You can walk around and get these "trading cards" from each team

On the 19th the road race starts at the Lower Campus. It ends at the Benton county fairgrounds where the do the sand dune.

On the 20th, they do the mud bog, and later, the river.

Then I should look for you in the river race at noon on Sunday? My friends and I have never been and would like to drive down for the day.

Did you make it to the OCF? I only went Friday and Saturday.
My friends(~) didn't make me walk back to camp so I must have been good. o:)

Let me know if you want any fudge. I got 3 1/2 pounds! 7 flavors. Last year I only brought home 1 pound and it took me 11 months to eat it. You can't have any of my hippie soap though. It's mine, all mine... :devil:

pfocf2008nekithippy.jpg

Yup. They're still running around nekit and eatin peaches at the fair!

I'll have some of that fudge! And you'd better have saved ME a bar of that hippie soap. :biggrin: We'll get together at my next Dr. appt in Sept. OK? I'll PM you when it gets closer.

Tsu said:
I'll have some of that fudge! And you'd better have saved ME a bar of that hippie soap. :biggrin: We'll get together at my next Dr. appt in Sept. OK? I'll PM you when it gets closer.

I foolishly agreed to carpool again this year with a couple of my lady friends. On the 20 minute trip back from the fair, they collectively ate a pound of their own fudge. Needless to say, I didn't bring mine out to share until I was ready to go home. :devil:

Soap? You dare request my precious soap! I've got 7 flavors: Oatmeal Spice, French Lavender, Green Clay & Tea Tree, Mountain Mint, Aloe Vera with Kelp, Cocoa Butter, and Orange Spice.

The Clay soap is new this year so you can't have that one.

The ATM's were all broken when I got to the fair, so I was out of cash after the first 4 hours. I'll have to remember that for next year. BRING CASH!

It was probably for the best though. I had my hands on all sorts of useless expensive hippie trinkets. Fortunately, most of the vendors wouldn't take my debit card.

lingerie.jpg

Let me know if you'd like a cd or flash drive filled with all the pictures I took.
There are about 150 of them.

Ok. I'm Officially on vacation now. Do not expect anything from me until next Monday.

pf_Ocountryfair08.jpg

smooches everyone. :smile:

Happy vacation OmCheeto! I guess you're going to the faire, ya? Have a wonderful time. Is anyone else going this year? lisab! You said you and your hubby were going this year. Is that still in the plan or will next year be your year? :biggrin: I've been spending my recent weekends studying for an advanced certification exam so I don't think I'll make to OCF this year. Bummer, I know, butt... Poop occurs. :biggrin:

I wish I lived closer to all of you to join you for this. It sounds like a fun fair! Maybe one summer when I'm not planning on leaving the country, I can take a vacation out to Oregon the week of the fair. I've always wanted to visit Seattle, WA too, so I could spend a few days in OR, and a few in WA maybe (or maybe my boyfriend will end up working in Seattle and I can visit there often).

Good luck on your exam, Tsu. I'll think of you while enjoying my Kindle (it arrived this weekend and I've already read 2 1/2 books on it!)

Moonbear said:
I wish I lived closer to all of you to join you for this. It sounds like a fun fair! Maybe one summer when I'm not planning on leaving the country, I can take a vacation out to Oregon the week of the fair. I've always wanted to visit Seattle, WA too, so I could spend a few days in OR, and a few in WA maybe (or maybe my boyfriend will end up working in Seattle and I can visit there often).

Good luck on your exam, Tsu. I'll think of you while enjoying my Kindle (it arrived this weekend and I've already read 2 1/2 books on it!)

Thanks, Moonbear. I wish you lived closer, too. OK. NEXT YEAR. FOR SURE! Everyone has to make it to the OCF. Lisab - i want to see your face down here next summer! O'Tay?? :smile:

I'll be thinking of YOU sitting in Mozambique reading your Kindle when I'm sitting there taking a lousy 4 hour exam! :grumpy:

Have a great time, Moonbear. And watch out for those brain-eating amoebae. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Have a great time, Moonbear. And watch out for those brain-eating amoebae. :biggrin:

I think they'd starve to death if they attacked today. :rolleyes:

Tsu said:
Bummer, I know, butt... Poop occurs. :biggrin:

My vacation may be cut unreasonably short. My backup at work was due to have her baby on July 21st. I received a phone call this morning that they have induced labor.

I subsequently flushed my cell phone down the toilet and have disconnected my land line.

I refuse to miss the fair except in the event of my death, or the end of the world, whichever comes first.

ocf_tall.jpg

OmCheeto said:
except in the event of my death, or the end of the world, whichever comes first.

From your point of view there is no distinction.

OmCheeto said:
My vacation may be cut unreasonably short. My backup at work was due to have her baby on July 21st. I received a phone call this morning that they have induced labor.
Y'know, it's one thing to naturally go into labor early, but to actually be INDUCED early, at the inconvenience of one's coworkers...pfft! That's just wrong.

I subsequently flushed my cell phone down the toilet and have disconnected my land line.
Sounds like the best approach. You don't need cell phones to enjoy hanging with the hippie-dippies.

Moonbear said:
Y'know, it's one thing to naturally go into labor early, but to actually be INDUCED early, at the inconvenience of one's coworkers...pfft! That's just wrong.

Well, you know what Tsu said:

Tsu said:
Poop occurs. :biggrin:

But the garbage man has been by, so it's time to load the tent and mandolin into the truck and get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cSICoacOT60&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cSICoacOT60&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We will be leaving for the fair within the hour... I hope not much longer then that!

I can almost hear Integral's cries of "Are we there yet"?

th_countryfair099.jpg

click on the image to get a photobucket Slideshow of some of my ocf pics